“Members of the Newtown Strong team which ran in today’s marathon are safe. All runners completed the race before the explosions happened,” the post said.
The runners ran the 26.2-mile event to honor the 26 people who were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14. The Newtown Patch reported there were six runners from the town in the race, including Laura Nowacki, whose daughter survived the shooting.
Marathon organizers held a 26-second moment of silence before the race to honor the first graders and educators who were killed by Adam Lanza and dedicated the final mile to the victims.
The Newtown Strong Fund is a scholarship fund for the siblings and relatives of the victims of the school massacre.
Lanza also killed his mother, Nancy, at the family’s home.
- The aftermath of 2 explosions at Boston Marathon
- Flights banned over Boston Marathon blast site
- List of Richmonders running the Boston Marathon
- UPDATE: Deadly explosions at the Boston Marathon
- Witness: ‘I saw blood everywhere’ after Boston Marathon explosion
- Talking to children after traumatic event
™ & © 2013 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.