Police: Shooting suspect’s apartment is booby trapped
AURORA, Colorado (WTVR) – Police said the apartment of the man accused of a mass shooting at a Colorado movie theater is booby trapped.
Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates told CBS News that bomb technicians are working to disarm explosive material in the suspect’s third-floor apartment.
Additionally, Oates said photos, which were taken inside the apartment by agents outside using a special remote camera on a pole, show what appear to be sophisticated devices.
“It appears that’s sufficient at this time,” officials told KDVR. They continued to say “it could be hours, it could be days” until the apartment is ruled safe again.
As a result, five buildings were evacuated near the suspect’s apartment.
James Holmes, 24, has been arrested in connection to the mass shooting which left at least 12 people dead and 38 wounded. His apartment was about four miles from the movie theater where the shooting took place.
- Gunman opens fire in movie theater
- Police: Shooting suspect’s apartment is booby trapped
- Man: Shooting suspect was ‘bookworm’ with swagger and smile
- Witness: My friends were injured in theater shooting
- Few hints of alleged shooters’ past
- GRAPHIC WARNING: Video shows crowd exit theater after shooting
- Obama: Shooting is ‘reminder that life is fragile’
- PHOTOS: Colorado theater shooting tragedy
Depend on CBS 6 News and WTVR.com for the latest on this developing story.