RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – A source says the auction sale of the State Fair of Virginia, Meadow Event Park and related assets earlier this week may not be the final transaction for the fair.
Universal Fairs owner Mark Lovell bought the fair property for $5.67 million Tuesday and said the company would "put on a fabulous 10-day event in September." [RELATED: State Fair of Virginia sold for $5.67 million]
However, CBS 6 News' Sam Brock has learned Lovell may be looking to resell the fair. In fact, one of the fair's former sponsors said Lovell is talking with multiple potential buyers.
A representative from one of those groups, who helped manage the State Fair of Virginia for years, said he has had discussions with Lovell. He added that Lovell might not be looking to sell the fair, but that he could be "inspired" to sell the fair.
The potential buyer said the details should be cleared up by Tuesday.
CBS 6 News called Universal Fairs Thursday and Lovell's son said there is no truth to claims of another sale -- and that his father's company will remain in control of the fair.
Download the CBS 6 Breaking News App for your smartphone: Android | Blackberry | iPhone and iPad | Sign up for Breaking News email alerts from WTVR.com
Stay with CBS 6 News and WTVR.com for the latest on this developing story.
- State Fair of Virginia sold for $5.67 million
- Analysis: State Fair and Sportsquest auctions
- Deal made to allow sale of State Fair in one piece
- Rival fair operator wants to capitalize on State Fair of Virginia’s demise
- VIDEO VAULT: Will the state fair move east?
- Bride’s wedding reception cancelled following State Fair’s bankruptcy
- RIR President offers to be host site for a State Fair once again
- VIDEO VAULT: ‘Controversial’ mule dive at the State Fair of Virginia