Inmate dies of apparent suicide, two days after entering Riverside Regional Jail

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PRINCE GEORGE COUNTY, Va. — Police are investigating the death of a male inmate at Riverside Regional Jail, two days after he entered the facility.

Benjamin S. Wash was discovered an unresponsive in his cell at approximately 1:19 p.m. on Thursday, November 30.

A Riverside Regional Jail spokesperson said staff initiated a medical emergency and started CPR. Prince George EMS was called and responded to the jail.

Wash was pronounced dead at the scene.

The cause of death is unknown at this time, but officials say it appears to be from a suicide. The Office of Chief Medical Examiner will determine an official cause of death.

“The inmate was initially incarcerated at the Chesterfield County Jail on November 26, 2017, where he went through a mental health screening, said Riverside Regional Jail spokesperson. “According to that screening, he denied any need for mental health assistance or having suicidal thoughts. The inmate also had a mental health screening at Riverside Regional Jail, during his intake process and denied needing any mental health assistance or having suicidal thoughts.”

The 35-year-old arrived at the facility Tuesday, November 28 on pending charges of felony petit larceny 3rd offense (Chesterfield), misdemeanor larceny less than $200, and misdemeanor simple assault (Henrico).

Riverside Regional Jail has initiated an internal investigation into Wash’s death. Prince George County Police Department are investigating the death.

This is the second suicide death at the facility in the last month.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.