Teen charged with felony for Powhatan High ‘credible’ threat

POWHATAN COUNTY, Va. -- A juvenile has been charged with a felony after social media threats were made towards Powhatan High School.

In an email to parents on Wednesday, Powhatan High School Principal Mike Massa said the school received a "vague" threat.

“Powhatan High School received a vague warning through social media of a possible threat at school tomorrow, Thursday, October 12th,” the email read.

School officials said there was never a specific threat made in the social media post.

Later in the afternoon, the Powhatan County Sheriff’s Office sent an update. They said they  worked with various social media companies to ascertain the identity of the author, within hours of the post.

The juvenile was interviewed by detectives and probable cause was developed to charge the juvenile with a violation of 18.2-60, threats to commit serious bodily harm to persons on school property, a class 6 felony.

A search warrant was simultaneously executed on the juvenile’s residence and an electronic device was seized which is believed to be the device used to make the post.

To explain why the threat was first considered not credible, they said the investigation revealed that while a credible threat the juvenile lacked the immediate means to carry out his threat. There is also no indication at this time that the juvenile conspired with others.

The juvenile is currently being held without bond at the Juvenile Detention center pending an initial appearance before the Powhatan Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

It's been a tense week at several Virginia schools.

Charlottesville City schools were on modified lockdown Wednesday, after the FBI notified leaders of a social media threat.

Dinwiddie High School and nearby Dinwiddle Middle School were both put on lock down Wednesday morning following a gun scare.

A call about "an armed intruder" at Dinwiddie High School was placed to Petersburg Police Wednesday morning, law enforcement sources told CBS 6 senior reporter Wayne Covil.

The schools were locked down and the Dinwiddie Sheriff's Office and Virginia State Police responded to the area.

No gunman was located and there were no reports of shots fired. Officers and K-9s searched the building.