Mechanic killed after car falls off lift
Feds: Known heroin trafficker arrested in sting operation
Caretaker charged with sexually assaulting minor
Man wanted in chicken restaurant armed robbery

Grandmother, grandson die in Lakeside house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- Officials have released the names of the two people killed in house fire in Henrico County's Lakeside neighborhood Saturday night.

Fire crews were called to a home in the 2200 block of Kenmore Road near Wedgewood Avenue for a report of smoke just before 7 p.m.

“About three minutes later a call came in reporting that a house was on fire," Capt. Taylor Goodman, Henrico Fire spokesman, said.

Goodman said crews arriving four minutes later spotted smoke coming from the roof and flames shooting from the back of the home.

Officials announced late Sunday that 86-year-old Helen Voltz and her grandson, 27-year-old Kyle Voltz, died in the fire.

Neighbors were saddened to hear the elderly woman and her grandson died inside the home.

The sound of sirens drew Brian Beck outside his home Saturday night.

"Smoke, just nothing but smoke," Beck said. "It must have happened very quickly because I didn't hear anything until six fire trucks showed up."

WTVR CBS 6 reporter Jake Burns and Brian Beck.

WTVR CBS 6 reporter Jake Burns and Brian Beck.

By that point smoke was roiling from the two-story brick home.

"They got it under control very quickly, but there was just so much smoke,” Beck explained.

The Fire Marshal’s Office ruled the blaze accidental and said it started on the stove in the kitchen.

Although the home had smoke detectors, officials said they were not working.

"My wife has been very upset, just thinking about the old houses and making sure everything is safe, not knowing exactly what happened over there,” Beck said. “If it's something that easily could have happened at our house. It's very scary.”

In fact, Beck said he has already started checking his home.

This photo shows candles outside the home Sunday following Saturday night's fatal fire.

This photo shows candles outside the home Sunday following Saturday night's fatal fire.

Although he did not know his neighbors well, Beck said his thoughts Sunday were across the street.

"I'm just devastated for the family, obviously, and then wanting double, triple check everything in my house. Just be extra vigilant,” he said.

Fire officials stressed the importance of working smoke alarms and said free smoke detectors are available for people who cannot afford them.

Additionally, Henrico fire officials offered these tips:

  • Smoke alarms should be cleaned and tested monthly.
  • Smoke alarm batteries should be changed in the spring and fall when you move your clocks forward and backwards.
  • Smoke alarms over 10 years should be replaced. Check the label on the back of your alarm to see how old yours is.
Two bodies pulled from house fire on Kenmore Road.

Two bodies pulled from house fire on Kenmore Road.