HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- Diamond Blathers believes she'll never see her mother's priceless jewelry that was stolen from her Varina home on Bayard Road on Monday.
"I'm not sure why it happened to us," she said. "I was very angry. I cried for three days straight."
Blathers was 11 years old when her mother, Kelly, died from natural causes leaving behind keepsakes and mementos.
"I had rings and necklaces of her's. She had a charm that said 'Mom' that had her birth stone in it," Blathers said.
She said thieves also stole nearly $10,000 worth of electronics including televisions and laptops and her father's safe with a gun inside.
Henrico Police confirmed Blathers' home is one of four in the area that were broken into since October 27.
Burglaries were also reported in the 300 block of Buffalo Road, 300 block of Cedar Fork Road and 200 block of Biloxi Road, according to online crime reports.
"The detectives assigned are collaboratively working to determine if they are related while also pursuing any potential leads," said Lt. C. L. Garrett.
Blathers said burglars broke in through the back window, which prevented drivers on the busy Nine Mile Road nearby from witnessing the crime.
"It’s not the material value things for me. It’s the sentimental value of things that I probably won’t get back so that was the most hurtful part about it," said Blathers.
Police recommended these tips to prevent becoming a victim:
- Ensure your home is secure when you leave (including all doors and windows).
- Keep an eye out for suspicious people or vehicles in the neighborhood.
- If you are traveling, have a neighbor check your home and gather mail and newspapers.
- Don't advertise your travel on social media.
- Utilize timers for lighting while you are gone.
- Try and prevent presents and valuables from being seen from outside your home.
- Inventory your valuables (make, model, serial #, photos) in case of theft.
No arrests have been made and detectives did not disclose a suspect description.
Police encouraged anyone with information concerning these burglaries to call Henrico Police at 804-501-5000 or Crimestoppers at 804-780-1000.SHARE on social media to SPREAD the WORD!