Firefighters rescue snake from electrical fire at Richmond animal clinic

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHMOND, Va. -- Firefighters busted the glass front door at a animal clinic in Richmond's West End to save animals from smoke and flames, early Friday morning.

Richmond Fire said smoke activated the alarm at Betty Baugh's Animal Clinic on Patterson Avenue just after 3 a.m.

Firefighters told CBS 6 they did not want to wait for the key holder to arrive on scene for fear the flames would spread, so they busted through the door.

Once inside crews spotted smoke and a small fire near an aquarium.

Firefighters rescued a snake from the fire. No other animals were hurt.

An employee said there was only minimal damage and the clinic should reopen Friday morning.

Firefighters believed an electrical issue sparked the flames.