RICHMOND, Va - Sandra Joseph Brown made a return to the Virginia This Morning studio to promote the 32nd annual Lebanese Food Festival, and shares a recipe for a refreshing cucumber yogurt sauce. You have the chance to taste and sample the incredible flavors of the Middle East. The festival kicks off Friday, May 13th and continues through Sunday, May 15th at St. Anthony’s Maronite Catholic Church in Glen Allen.
For more information visit www.stanthonymaronitechurch.org/food-festival/
Recipe: Refreshing Cucumber Yogurt Dip Recipe – or Laban bi Khiyar
Summary: The Yogurt Cucumber dip/soup is a smooth, healthy and very refreshing dip or paired with other Lebanese staples.
- 4 Lebanese cucumbers (or equivalent), finely chopped
- 4 cups of plain yogurt (I will show you how to make yogurt from scratch)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- a few leaves of green mint finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon of dried mint powder
- a dash of salt
- In a bowl, whisk the yogurt, crushed garlic, and salt.
- Finely Chop the cucumbers into cubes of ~ 1/3 inches, add to the mixing bowl
- Add the finely chopped green mint or the dried mint powder and salt, mix well.
- This dish is often served over stuffed grape leaves, stuffed squash, or cooked Lentils.