BLACKSBURG, Va. — Virginia Tech police are asking for the public’s after a message found threatened violence against Muslims this Wednesday.
Officials said graffiti was discovered Monday etched inside a bathroom stall at Price Hall stating “I will be here 11/11/2015 to kill all muslims (sic).”
Virginia Tech’s Muslim Student Association President Obaid Rehman told the Washington Post news of the message was disappointing.
“It’s unsettling that this kind of thing can take place here. It’s very disappointing that this rhetoric of hate is present…,” Rehman said. “Unfortunately, this rhetoric has become acceptable in many ways that people talk about Islam. Islamaphobia is becoming normalized in many ways in our society. But there are many more good people than bad, as we can see from the university reaction to this event.”
The investigation continues into the incident, Virginia Tech police said. The agency pleaded for the public’s help in finding who was responsible for the threat.
If you have information that could help investigators, call Detective John Waid at 540-231-6790 or via email at email@example.com. Tips may also be reported anonymously to the police department by calling 540-231-6411.
The campus police department provided the following tips in the wake of the threat:
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts.
- Call Virginia Tech Police Department immediately to report all suspicious people and circumstances.
- Be cautious in confronting suspicious persons.
- Contact the Dean of Students Office at 540-231-3787, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person at 109 East Eggleston Hall, no appointment necessary, should you seek additional support or care.
- Faculty and staff should contact Hokie Wellness for support and assistance at 540-231-9331.