CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Police have been searching for second-year University of Virginia student Hannah Graham since she was reported missing on Sunday, Sept. 14.
She was last seen shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 13 and she sent a text to friends at 1:20 a.m. that she was lost in an area that she would be familiar with, not far from her own housing. Additionally, as surveillance video indicates, Graham would not physically be able to be in the location where she texted she was lost, because it is 1.5 miles away.
On Thursday, a person of interest was named and a reward offered.
Police initially described the man as a black male in his late 20s to early 30s, about 5’10” or 5’11” tall and weighing between 250-285 pounds. The man was wearing black jeans and a white t-shirt and was described as having a closely shaved head as well as a goatee and a slight “beer belly.”
Police later described a person of interest as Jesse Matthew Jr. This person can be seen in the two of the videos below. At Friday’s press conference the person of interest was described as a black, dread locked male, 6’2″ and 32 years of age, weighing around 270 pounds.
The reward is for $50,000. If you have information that could help police, call 434-295-3851.
All stories about the missing student are filed under this tag.
Below is the timeline of events, and corresponding videos are below that. A photo gallery shows pictures of Hannah, below the videos.
- 11:50 p.m. Friday — Graham last seen by friends at Camden Plaza Apartments, in the 200 block of 14th Street NW.
- 12:45 a.m. Saturday — Graham seen on surveillance video outside of McGrady’s Pub on Grady Street.
- 12:55 a.m. Saturday — Graham seen on Shell station surveillance video on Preston Ave.
- 1 a.m. Saturday — Witness reports seeing Graham on Downtown Mall
- 1:06 a.m. Saturday — Video captures Graham in front of Sal’s, continuing to walk east along the mall.
- 1:08 a.m. Saturday — Graham seen in front of Tuel Jewelers.
- 1:20 a.m. Saturday — Graham sends a text to friends saying she was lost in the area around 14th and Wertland Streets.