WINTER WEATHER UPDATE: Messy conditions to impact Thanksgiving travel

Frustrated woman busts mail carrier on Facebook, gets results

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — After years of complaining about the way her mail carrier performed his job, a Missouri woman finally recorded his actions on video, posted it to Facebook and got results.

“He would put the mail in, and then shove the package in, which would just tear up all the mail,” Susan Howard Perry told Fox4KC.com. “That’s all I did was spend my time filing complaints, and nothing got resolved.”

Knowing an expensive book was to be delivered, Susan Howard Perry recorded the delivery to see what would happen. From her window, she saw her mailman throw the book onto the ground.

Mailman woes

She told Fox4KC.com she was relieved to finally have video proof of his actions.

“I thought – if I were to [just] tell somebody this, they’re gonna look at me like, really? Come on, you’re exaggerating. No I’m not, that’s how my mail gets delivered,” she said.

Shortly after she posted the video on Facebook, a post office manager knocked on her door.

“He showed up at my front door, and literally his boss had seen the video on Facebook, and he said, ‘I apologize,’” she explained.

“The Postal Service condemns, in the strongest possible sense, the actions of any employee who mishandles mail or packages,” U.S. Postal Service spokeswoman Stacy St. John wrote in a statement. “An investigation into the incident is underway and if this video is accurate, then the behavior on the part of the employee shown in the video is not only unacceptable to the Postal Service, it threatens to tarnish the reputation and high level of trust that the vast majority of our employees work so hard to uphold.”

She added the Postal Service is taking all appropriate steps to address the situation and ensure it does not happen again.

“That’s all I want!”Perry exclaimed. “I want my mail!”

• Chrisitna

Get a new mail box? Why waste their time and money on a new mailbox when the mailbox isn’t the problem, the lazy disrespectful mailman is the problem so noo get a new mailman

• athynz

Maybe it’s just me but I simply do not see having to use UPS or having to get a bigger mailbox because the mailman is not doing his job. The issue is that mailman needs to be retrained and instilled with some sort of work ethic (i.e. being able to take pride in a job well done) or he needs to be fired.

• Vickie

Shipped a box to New Mexico on Aug. 25th…it’s no wonder the USPS is broke! Finally in Texas yesterday. Not sure whether they will send it to Wisconsin and then California, before it finally makes it’s destination.
    Departed USPS Facility

Aug-30-14, 10:13 AM, SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152

Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
    Aug-26-14, 07:28 AM, GREENSBORO, NC 27495

Departed Post Office
    Aug-25-14, 10:10 AM, , VA

• U S Male

Per a US Postal Service audit, Sandston, Va., the central hub for the Richmond area, was found to be the worst in the country for incompetence……I had a package arrive and depart that facility 4 times, taking a similar tour of the country as yours, before finally receiving it…..two weeks late.

• Vickie

You know…it wouldn’t have been as bad, if I were sending the box to a family member. It’s embarrassing though, when the box is being sent to a customer. By the way…it went from Dallas to El Paso yesterday. Still keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t head to some crazy place today.

• dharrison

Most of us have jobs and other daily obligations that make it inconvenient for us to have the time to video the mail carrier. Sounds like someone needs a life. I am sure that the carrier is doing the best that he can under the adverse conditions he faces daily

• rob

Apparently, this employee is a poor example of what the USPS is and should be. My dad retired from the US Navy, then the Civil Service, prior to working for the USPS. He took great pride in walking his route and made it a point to interact with his regular customers. He made a lot of friends that valued his service and he usually came home with goodies as a thank you during the holidays. I’m not saying what this guy in the video did was right, but don’t lump every USPS employee into the same category. His supervisor actually came in person to apologize to her! How often does that happen in other businesses?
    Sometimes, my dad shared his frustrations about how there were still people who did not appreciate the USPS and how much work they actually do. There is a lot of activity that goes on behind the scenes. Instead, there were endless complaints when the price of a stamp would go up a few cents and he would try to remind people it still costs less than a dollar to send a standard letter across the country! The USPS is still, by far, the most reliable way to send mail in the world. Take a look at how awful the postal service is in other countries for a change!
    Also, compare prices between the USPS, Fedex, and UPS. The USPS beats them all and makes their services affordable; especially the folks that send items through eBay.
    And I wonder if this lady, since she took the time to video, ever tried to meet her carrier and talk to him. Maybe even a note to ask him to treat her mail a little better. Too many of us are quick to complain and report bad behavior when we all should be trying to allow more time to recognize and reward great customer service when we get it.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,782 other followers