COLONIAL BEACH, Va. -- Town leaders confirmed Friday afternoon that a boil alert issued for Colonial Beach residents has been lifted.
This after residents were notified Tuesday morning that the water from their faucets could make them sick after a test came back positive for E. coli.
People who live in the area were told to boil their water before drinking it since boiling kills the bacteria and other organisms in the water.
Town leaders say a water sample tested positive for E. coli on July 8, almost two weeks before the warnings were made.
E. coli can cause nausea, cramps, diarrhea and/or headaches.
Town leaders said they were flushing pipes, increasing chlorination,and performing more follow-up tests to fix the problem.