4 families burned out of Petersburg apartments

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PETERSBURG, Va. - The Red Cross is helping four families after a multi-unit apartment fire in Petersburg.

Firefighters responded to the call for the fire early Saturday morning in the 1700 block of Johnson Road.

One of the top floor units of the Tanglewood Apartments caught fire while the occupants were cooking, investigators said.

Two people were rescued and checked out by emergency crews at the scene. No injuries have been reported.

Three additional units suffered smoke damage.