When we’ll see more rain this week

Why consumer groups want the feds to investigate CarMax

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHMOND, Va. -  Eleven consumer and safety groups have asked the Federal Trade Commission to investigate CarMax, the Goochland-based used car retailer.

The Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety, the National Consumer Law Center ,U.S. Public Interest Research Group,Consumers Union, the Consumer Federation of America, and the Center for Auto Safety  want the FTC to take a close look at CarMax for deceptive advertising.

The groups allege CarMax wrongfully claimed every vehicle it sold passed a rigorous inspection, but they said the inspection failed to disclose whether a car had been recalled and repaired.

CarMax responded with this statement:

"New car manufacturers do not give used car retailers, including CarMax, the authority to complete recall repairs. CarMax provides the necessary information for customers to register their vehicle with the manufacturer to determine if it has an open recall and be notified about future recalls. CarMax supports federal legislation that requires used car retailers to fix recalls so long as the legislation also mandates that manufacturers fully enable used car retailers to make the repairs. The legislation should require manufacturers give used car retailers all recall notices, the same diagnostic and repair information, and the tools and parts that manufacturers make available to their franchise dealers."

CarMax also included these frequently asked questions they get from customers:

Should I register my newly purchased CarMax vehicle with the manufacturer? How do I register? 

Yes, you should register with your car's manufacturer as the new owner, to ensure that you receive any recall notifications, notices or information regarding your vehicle from the manufacturer. To register, you can visit the manufacturer's website. Please note that your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) may be required when registering your vehicle.  

How do I find out about a recall? 

Safercar.gov can provide year/make/model-specific information.
The vehicle manufacturer’s customer service department can provide Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)-specific information.
A local authorized repair facility can also provide VIN-specific information.

How do I handle a recall? Will I have to pay anything?
Simply contact a manufacturer-authorized repair facility, which is required to fix recalls at no cost.

We are still waiting on the Federal Trade Commission's decision regarding the request from the consumer groups.


  • johnny

    why single out carmax?every used car dealer should be held to the same standards.Here’s a better idea how about the feds stop letting car makers produce junk they know are prone to failure and avoid the thousands of recalls yearly all together.maybe too big to fail but producing the same junk cars they did before big gov bailed them out.I give them 3 years before they start cry’n “we need more money big daddy”

Comments are closed.