Cigarettes put out in flower pot sparked deadly Chester house fire

CHESTER, Va. — One person has died from injuries sustained in a house fire early Sunday morning in Chester’s Glen Oaks neighborhood.

Chesterfield Fire and EMS said four adults and two children were pulled from the burning home in the 4100 block of Hamlin Court around 2:15 a.m. and taken to the hospital.

Hamlin CourtWhen firefighters arrived, they spotted heavy fire and smoke coming from the front and rear of the house.

David Vance Sr. told CBS 6 reporter Jon Burkett that he was inside the the home his son rents when he heard a loud pop around 2:30 a.m.

Vance reported seeing an orange glow before he rushed to grab his one-year-old grandson.

Once safely outside, Vance said his son ran back in to grab his six-year-old and screamed that his wife and mother-in-law were still inside the house

Neighbor Bryan Sparks ran to the front of the house to help his wife.

“She was waving a phone out the front window and was going to climb down with a sheet, but we told her to jump,” Sparks said.

Family members said the wife’s mother died from fire-related injuries

Hamlin CourtThere has been no update on the conditions of the other four people taken to the hospital.

One firefighter suffered a minor injury battling the blaze.

The Fire Marshall’s office said smoking materials put out in a flower pot ignited and spread to the house.

 

2 comments

  • Kelly Richardson

    There is a Battalion Chief from NDW firehouse & Quantico that passes while in bed at fire duty on Friday. This will be a HUGE CELEBRATION forthe life of Johnny MMacDonald. You may look on Web for further information but you should really prepare for C OVER AGE from Covenant Funeral home in frederickburg va. Thank you.

  • scars

    This happened to me once. I had a relative staying with me once who put out their cigarette in a potted plant on my deck. I don’t smoke so I didn’t have any ashtrays. In the middle of the night, awoke to see flames. Burned a larege hole in the deck but fortunately the fire was quickly put out. Could have been disastrous since I was in an apartment at the time. Luckily no one was hurt. I now have ashtrays available so it won’t happen again.

Comments are closed.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,777 other followers