Chesterfield Walmart abduction investigation
When we’ll see more rain this week

Burning candle falling onto bed sparked Ettrick apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ETTRICK, Va. (WTVR) -- Chesterfield fire crews said a burning candle was to blame for sparking a fire at an Etterick apartment building Saturday night.

According to Lt. Jason Elmore, firefighters responded to the River Terrace apartments in the 20800 block of River Terrace Road around 8 p.m.

That's where crews spotted heavy flames coming from one of unit's bedroom.

Amy Selph, who lives across the street from the apartment complex,  told CBS 6 News' Jake Burns that she came running when she saw flames through a window and smoke billowing into the sky. She also saw a woman inside the apartment.

"Her back bedroom was on fire and she was taking buckets of water and trying to pour it on the fire," Selph said. "She could barely walk. She would take baby steps when she walked."

Selph helped the woman out of her apartment and paramedics took the woman to VCU Medical where she was treated for smoke inhalation.

Selph did not know the woman, who did not even have time to grab clothes when she escaped.

"I sent my mom home to get her a pair of sweatpants," Selph said.

Officials said the fire stated when a lit candle tipped over and fell onto the woman's bed.

1 Comment

  • Crystal G.

    I am this woman’s very close friend and I was notified BY THE VICTIM as the apartment was burning. YES, the apartment fire WAS AN ACCIDENT. She was NOT pouring buckets of water onto the fire but rather she had poured a CUP of water. As other reports have stated that she was melting candles Chanel 6 seems to be the only reporters that has the story straight. It was caused by a tipped over tea lite candle that was used for a wax burner. It tipped over onto her bed and set it ablaze.

    She did grab a shirt on the way out of the door. Her clothes were to be washed today by me and I PUT THEM BY THE FRONT DOOR!!! She grabbed a shirt on the way out. When she stepped outside the lady approached her and helped her to the curb. She was taken to the hospital where she was treated for smoke inhalation and was released from the hospital today. She is now resting comfortably and soon hopes to put things in order. Many thanks to all who helped her and many blessings.

Comments are closed.