McDonald’s closed for the day after fast food workers discover fryer fire
CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – The McDonald’s at 9210 Midlothian Turnpike (near Pinetta Drive) is expected to reopen Tuesday after a kitchen fire early Monday morning. The fire was reported about 4:30 a.m. when workers saw smoke coming from a fryer and called 911.
“When we arrived we had heavy smoke conditions. Fortunately [the workers] had evacuated very quickly and were meeting us in the parking lot,” Chesterfield Fire Department spokesman Matt Coffin said. “We were able to get [the fire] under control very quickly.”
Coffin said while the fire was considered small, there was potential for a bigger danger.
“Given the amount of grease used for daily operations and the flammable properties of that grease, there was potential to create a very large fire which would extend up and out into the rest of the building,” Coffin said.
No one was hurt in the fire which remains under investigation.