(CNN) — Justin Bieber is counting on “the truth” to set him free.
In a series of tweets lamenting all the “rumors” he’s facing, the 20-year-old pop star seems to have responded to allegations that he attempted to rob a woman of her cell phone in Los Angeles earlier this week.
“It is hard to defend myself and my privacy every moment of the day … The truth will set u free,” he tweeted Wednesday, linking to a TMZ report that quotes an eyewitness saying Bieber never tried to rob his accuser.
News of an alleged attempted robbery began on Monday, when a woman reportedly accused Bieber of trying to take her phone while he was with friends at a batting cage on L.A.’s west side. The woman told TMZ that the singer didn’t want her taking pictures of him, and demanded she give him her phone. She alleged that when she refused, Bieber reached into her purse to take it.
Bieber’s rep declined to comment to CNN about the allegations, but a source close to Bieber downplayed the situation, saying “this is another example of someone making an issue where there isn’t one.”
“Justin was just enjoying hanging out with friends at the batting cage and playing mini-golf,” the source told CNN. “This just wasn’t a big deal.”
Bieber echoed that sentiment on Twitter Wednesday, telling his 51 million followers, “don’t believe rumors.”
“My mom raised me to be kind to others. I get judged, harassed, and I try to take the high road,” he said. “Sometimes it isn’t easy. But we keep trying … I will continue to be the man my mother raised. I love people and I will try to be kind even when things are not fair. … I’m human. I feel. I hurt. But I got thick skin too. I can handle it.”
Ed Payne, Michael Martinez, Jane Caffrey and Dave Alsup contributed to this report.
™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.