Problem Solvers on Facebook
ENTER NOW: Win $600 on CBS 6 at 6:30 a.m. this week

Mom worried, disgusted after opening son’s juice box

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW BERLIN, Wisc. (WTVR) – When mold grows on food, most parents would opt to remove the mold before serving the food to their child or simple throw the whole thing out. But what if the mold is in a place you can’t see — like the inside of a juice box.

A Wisconsin mother told when her son informed her his juice tasted funny, she opened up the juice box and discovered mold inside.

Juice Box mold

“It took up half of the juice box and at that point it was brown, black, green,” Suzanne Hogue said. I didn’t even know what I was looking at at first. I was so shocked when I opened it up. I had no idea what it was. It was so repulsive and it had an odor.”

Mold can grow on any food product once it is exposed to air, food safety experts told  They said there was likely an undetected hole in the juice box.

Click here to read what Capri Sun has done to help ease the minds of parents who might be worried about moldy drinks.

Health experts with the Milwaukee Health Department said ingesting the mold would not cause any severe medical issues, unless the person had mold hypersensitivity or allergies.


  • barbara

    the way food stockers put food is crazy.i see bent cans open bags,where the rough handle boxes.they put it on the shelves instead of putting in damage boxes.

  • Kevin

    As someone with a severe mold allergy that would put me at least in the ER with Angiodemia and at worst kill me. So I find it interesting the way this article was worded. It almost sounds like its a real rarity for someone to be allergic to mold.

Comments are closed.