Chesterfield father arrested after baby girl suffers life-threatening injuries

Posted on: 2:26 pm, February 17, 2014, by , and , updated on: 11:12am, February 18, 2014

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – A father was arrested and charged with multiple crimes after his five-month-old daughter was injured in their Woodlake Village Court  home on Saturday.

“The child’s mother returned home, discovered the girl’s injuries, and attempted to call for help. Jonathan Jenkins tried to prevent the child’s mother from calling 911, striking her in the process. The mother escaped with the child to a neighbor’s residence, where she was able to call police,” Chesterfield Police spokeswoman Liz Caroon wrote in an email.  “The child was ultimately taken to VCU Medical Center with life-threatening injuries; she remains in the hospital.”

“There was obvious trauma to the face and head area,” said Chesterfield Police Lt. Patrick McCann.

Jenkins, 24, was arrested Sunday and charged with malicious wounding, felony child neglect, domestic assault and preventing someone from calling 911.

Jenkins has a violent rap sheet, and sources confirm charges he’s faced before in Henrico include conspiracy to commit murder which was “nolle-prossed” in 2012.

As for how often a Chesterfield child might suffer through such acts as Jenkins is alleged to have committed, the most recent child abuse data is from 2006.

The numbers are staggering: 152 children placed into Department of Social Services foster care that year.  Most of those were as a result of child abuse or neglect.

Ian Danielsen, who works with SCAN, or Stop Child Abuse Now, says there’s a complex series of risk factors.

“Parents’ coping skills failing, parents’ own poor modeling in the past,” said Danielsen.  “Parents who were once a victim, too, a lack of education.  It can all play into it.”

He is scheduled to appear in Chesterfield  Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court on Tuesday afternoon.

• John says:

Oh please can I pull the switch, please.

• Joe says:

Why can’t society inflict the same injuries to him again?

• Joe says:

Nice abuse of the english language, you must be a relative.

• terri says:

I assume j means this mother is a dumb white girl?If so I would agree for the bad decision she made to be with such scum due to what can only be lack of a father or very low self esteem.Her and the rest that choose this route.Seems the thing to do nowadays,better smarten up women

• Neko says:

Im just really happy that the mother called 911. A lot of women will not do that and put the man above their child. I hope she learns from this and never allows a criminal to be alone with her baby, and fights to the end in court to keep him away or supervised at the least

• FDH says:

I happen to know for a fact that the mother isn’t white!!

• No matter what we feel about the mother’s choice for being w/ this man, this is NOT her fault. It’s HIM!!!

• Carolyn1978 says:

I pray this baby girl makes it through this ok. As for the mothers choice I choose to give her the benefit of the doubt in her choice of him, as I have no idea what brought them together. What I know is she did what was right when her child needed it. How anyone could ever hurt a baby is impossible for me to understand! I hope he stays locked up!

• jackburton77 says:

That little girls health is all that matters and I think it’s why people bring up the mothers choices. Is she the best caregiver for this child going forward, if she recovers?

I don’t believe so. Her decision making skills are horrible at best.