CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) — Police have identified 36-year-old Victor Lamont as the victim that died from injuries sustained in a fire Sunday afternoon.
Chesterfield Fire crews received a call for a house fire around 2:30 p.m. on the 3200 block of Appleford Drive. Crews arrived on scene 7 minutes later.
Firefighters say a family member came home and noticed smoke in the home. One person, who was home when the fire started, was rescued. The victim was rushed to VCU Medical Center, but ultimately died at the hospital.
Investigators believe the fire started in the home’s kitchen due to a hot pan left on the stove.
Family and friends asked for privacy as they grieved their loss. Neighbor, Curtis Moran was surprised by the incident in a normally quiet neighborhood.
Chesterfield Fire Lt. Jason Elmore says that they’ve seen an extensive amount of fires in recent weeks and reminds everyone to stay safe.
Appleford Dr house fire, one person transported to VCU medical center with life threatening injuries.—
Lt. Jason Elmore (@CFEMSPIO) February 09, 2014