Facebook grants father access to dead son’s ‘Lookback’ video

Posted on: 9:08 pm, February 5, 2014, by , updated on: 08:01am, February 6, 2014

NEW YORK (PIX11) – Most of the internet collectively gasped in excitement to relive their biggest Facebook moments through a Lookback video created by the social networking site on its tenth anniversary

Well, most everyone was excited. Certainly John Berlin, of St. Louis, Missouri, who lost his son on January 28, 2012, was not.

His son Jesse Berlin was 22 when he died and his dad didn’t have access to his son’s profile.

The mourning father uploaded a video to YouTube this week, making a plea to Mark Zuckerberg and the Facebook team to gain access to his son’s profile. The video went viral on Reddit and CBS 6 affiliate PIX11 News helped connect the father and Facebook.

In a short video titled “My appeal to Facebook,” John Berlin fights back tears as he explains why he is sharing the video.

“You ever do something crazy because you just don’t know what to do anymore?” he asks. “Well that’s what I’m doing right now.”

“I’m calling out to Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook. You’ve been putting out these new movies – these one minute movies that everyone has been sharing, and I think they’re great,” Berlin said, referring to the short, personalized videos the social networking site has generated for millions of its users.

Facebook told PIX11that they had been looking to contact Berlin and wanted to make the video happen. After the news station helped connect them, Facebook contacted Berlin and said “his wishes were being granted.”

“The video will be ready either tonight or tomorrow morning,” Facebook spokesman Jonathan Thaw told PIX11 News.

The 62-second “look back” video notes the year you joined Facebook, then shows a handful of your most-liked posts and a seemingly random selection of your photos — all set to instrumental music. To see yours, go to Facebook.com/lookback.

Read more, including a personal interview with John Berlin, on WPIX11

• What a great story! So happy fb allowed Mr Berlin access to his son’s facebook “lookback” movie…I love these “lookbacks” and have yet to see one that hasn’t made me cry!

• Noah says:

I’m glad they responded!!!

• Kevin says:

*St. Louis, MISSOURI.

• Janet Palmateer says:

I lost my daughter on Sept 15, 2011 from an auto accident. Like this father, my daughter was 22 and I did not have direct access to her facebook accpunt. I’d love to be able to have the same look-back available to my family and all the others out there that tragically have the same story to tell.

• Saundra Sanchez says:

I can’t access my facebook movie at lookback. Could facebook please correct this problem. It would be appreciated. Thank you

• Melanie Walden says:

God Bless You and I am so sorry for your loss,

• Mia says:

I’m so happy for you sir. I hope you could find some form of comforting peace even if it’s in the most slightest way. I’m so happy we all shared your video to make this happen for you!!! I wish I could hug you and your wife right now!!!

• Connie Schrader says:

Wonderful, I also lost a son but that was before FB. But I would have wanted the same thing so I was pulling for FB to do the right thing!!!! So happy someone got through!!!!!

• “Nice happy ending” “Great story” Really Ramos? Where exactly did Andrew Ramos get his degree? Even a high school drop out could have chosen their words a little more carefully. It was a very touching story with an appropriate ending.

• God bless FB for doing this for this dad! And thank you FB for making the wonderful videos for us, as well!

• Before i decided to leave her page on fb i thought i’d take a vote. It was YES all the way!! So here we are 2 yrs later and i LOVE sharing my mom’s page!!! I love reading what others write, i love that they think about her too. It also keeps her near in a weird way…. seeing her old comments does bring a smile or tear to your eyes. Thanks for pushing thru with this.. i will do this on her page. The videos have had me touched anyway. But never thought of doing this for her.Thank you!!! And I also am sorry for your loss. God Bless

• enigmateo says:

Oah!! Beautiful history.. Surreal

• Danny sanchez kansas city mo says:

This was very touching by the time I saw this they gave him acess so happy they did that for him after all he’s been through he seemed to really need this

• Mj says:

Facebook ROCKS!!!!!!!

• Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful post.
    Thank you for supplying this information.