Teen killed, 5 others escape Spotsylvania house fire
SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) — A 14-year-old boy was killed during a house fire Sunday morning in Spotsylvania County.
According to Spotsylvania County Fire Chief Monty Willaford , dozens of firefighters were dispatched just after 4 a.m. to the 3800 block of Lee Hill School Drive.
When crews arrived minutes later, they found heavy flames coming from the front of the house, which had fully engulfing the home’s windows and doors.
According to fire crews, six people were in the home when the fire started. A grandmother, a mother visiting the home, a 17-year-old female, a 14-year-old male and a 9-year-old male.
According to Willaford, five people made it outside safely.
However, when crews arrived, 14-year-old Xavier Montague was still inside.
Crews searched the 14-year-old’s bedroom on the left side of the home but were unable to find him. Firefighters later discovered the teen’s body in the living room, which is reported to be where the fire was most intense.
Xavier’s uncle, Eddie Maddox, remembered the eighth-grader as a good kid.
“Nobody knows how, but somehow it just caught on fire,” said Maddox.
Investigators, who are still investigating what sparked the fatal fire, said the blaze spread quickly and there was not much the dozens of firefighters who responded could do.
Family friend Sheila Mickens said the community support has been overwhelming.
“We’ve probably had 7- plus so far between the church family and the community,” said Mickens. “We just ask to keep everyone in prayer right now.”
As family members tried to salvage something from the ashes Sunday, Xavier’s uncle said the family isn’t losing hope. While the boy may be gone, five other family members inside at the time of the blaze were able to make it out safely.
“We believe in God and we believe all things work according to God’s will,” Maddox said.
The Red Cross is assisting the family. The fire department urges anyone who would like to help to contact the Red Cross.
Seven people have died in fires across the state since Friday.