‘It’s unbelievable’ woman survives gas station fire
POWHATAN, Va. (WTVR) – One Powhatan woman’s quick trip at the Dorset gas station in the 2300 block of Genito Road in Powhatan ended with her Mercury Grand Marquis charred.
“She’s not injured..it’s unbelievable…she’s not injured,” Chief Don Houtsma said.
The pump was also left burnt.
Houtsma said they believe it all started when that woman got out of her car to stop the nozzle.
He said that next the static electricity ignited a flash fire on that nozzle.
“She dropped it and got out of there–that’s about what she did right,” Houtsma said.
He said the fire continued to spread until they arrived, which was at just the right time, seeing how there were propane tanks not too far from the burning car.
Powhatan fire crews are urging you to think twice before sitting in your car while pumping gas.
Houtsma said jumping back into your vehicle will generate static electricity.
With the colder weather, firefighers are urging you not go back into the vehicle
“If you’re going to touch the nozzle and that static electricity is still there and it could cause the fumes to flash,” Houstma said.
- Witness recalls ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s chilling final words
- VIDEO: Argument may have you questioning mom's parenting skills
- 911 CALL: Hissing 22-pound Himalayan cat forces family, dog into bedroom
- VIDEO: Watch what happens when President Obama pushes the red button on 'Between Two Ferns' with Zach Galifianakis