RICHMOND, Va (WTVR) – Culinary Expert Gabrielle Tenney shared a quick and easy recipe for Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe, you may want to try at home. Gabrielle will be holding a ‘Recipes and Tips for a Healthy New Year on a Budget’ class Thursday, January 9th from 6pm to 7pm at Ellwood Thompson. The class is free, but you’ll want to sign up and reserve a spot. For more information visit http://ellwoodthompsons.com/ or Savvyandwell.com.
Spicy Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe by Gabrielle Tenney
Gabrielle Tenney: Gabrielle Tenney
- 1 cup of spaghetti squash, roasted
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 ounces spicy Italian sausage, slice legthwise & casing removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup onion, small dice
- ½ bunch broccolini or broccoli rabe, sliced lengthwise and then quartered
- 2 tablespoon water or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese
- For the Spaghetti Squash set oven temperature to 400 F and get a sheet pan or baking sheet ready.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds in the middle. (you can toast them for a snack)
- Drizzle cut side with a little oil and season with salt and pepper and place it cut side down. Roast for 25 minutes until slightly undercooked since you will finish cooking it in the pan.
- Rake with a fork back and forth to remove the fleshy strands of squash.
- For the broccolini fill a pot with water and add a teaspoon salt. Add your cleaned broccoli rabe and boil for 2 minutes or until fork tender.
- In a sauce pan over medium high heat add oil and when hot add the sausage and break up into small pieces.
- Add the chili flake, garlic and onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the broccolini and the water or stock and the squash.
- Let cook for 3-5 minutes letting the squash soak up the flavors and finish cooking.