Toby Keith’s Virginia restaurant under fire for its no gun policy

Posted on: 9:11 pm, January 2, 2014, by

WOODBRIDGE, Va. (WTVR/WJLA) – A new restaurant in Virginia  is in the scope of controversy after the manager posted a sign on its front door that said “no guns permitted.”

Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill recently opened at Potomac Town Center and the small sign has unleashed a big debate.

“A gun does not belong in a bar. People get stupid,” Kathy Schuster of Woodbridge said.

“More and more they’re taking freedoms from people,” Laura Curran of New Hampshire said.

“I’m kind of disappointed, considering the name on there,” Ed McQueen of Woodbridge said.

By law, Virginia residents can carry a gun without a license, but police said the “no guns” sign at a private business supersedes that law.

“Do I feel more secure having a drink with no guns around? Sure,” Tom Jacobs of Hawaii said.

This is not the first restaurant or bar in Virginia to have a “no guns” sign, but it seems that since this one has the name Toby Keith attached to it, people are upset.

People have taken to Facebook to express their feelings.

Toby Keith does not own the restaurant chain, rather he has licensed the name. He’s performed at National Rifle Association events, has supported gun events and has written songs about guns.

That is what has some fans now puzzled.

“It’s kind of not telling us exactly what is his true belief in this,” says Linda Mills of Woodbridge.

On Facebook, the restaurant says, “We at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill have adopted a no weapons policy. It is our desire to provide a safe, enjoyable, and entertaining experience for our patrons and staff.”

“I don’t think you have to be against guns to not want them in your restaurant,” Judy Peacock of Dale City said.

• Well you trigger happy people need to learn that violence in a bar is not tolerated and DEAL WITH IT!

• Carrie F. says:

I am all for everyone’s “right to bear arms”…my house hold owns guns ….however I would not want someone I don’t know walking up into my home with a gun….that is essentially what this restaurant is doing…protecting all its customers from the possibility of an unknown threat…better safe than sorry.

• bobby says:

That place is going to get robbed! They might as well hang a sign up that says “We cannot protect ourselves, come take our money”

• charles r. lawson says:

Most concealed carry permit holders will continue to carry there and keep their mouths shut and guns holstered and hidden. On the other hand, this has nothing to do with gun control or as someone above put it “violence in bars.” Guns do not necessarily equal violence. The statistics show that a legally armed society tends to lead to a lower rate of violent crime.

This is a case of a choice by a business to disallow OPEN carry. I have no problem with that. I also remind everyone that though you may carry a firearm in a restaurant that serves alcohol, you still may not consume alcohol while carrying. It’s irresponsible, and in the Commonwealth of Virginia, illegal.

• Mohammad says:

I think Judy Peacock is right! I have no problem with guns but I do have a problem with the idea that you can tell a business owner that they HAVE TO let you bring a gun there by force of law.

• Agree with many of you. All for the 2nd amendment but if the business owner does not want a gun in their establishment, that’s their right too.

• Rose says:

Woodbridge already has enough bars, Queens Gambit, K2, Brittany’s, police are always there at night, they fight in the parking lots. They don’t need guns, they have knives and fists. Toby Keith’s had four males fighting outside and the rescue squad was called for one, not even open a month. These places do nothing but cause fights and injuries. A nice new shopping center and it’s just another place of trouble. What were they thinking putting a bar in there?

• Earl says:

How many ppl have been killed in recent history from gun fights in middle to high class restaurants in Virginia ? Listing to Rose how the folks frequenting these bars throw fists. You Rose are changing the story to they don’t’ need guns…. well seems they didn’t use them either so, your point is?