Shanahan firing, in theory, could affect Richmond Redskins training camp

Posted on: 4:26 pm, December 30, 2013, by , updated on: 06:51pm, December 30, 2013

RICHMOND, VA (WTVR) — The decision of the Washington Redskins front office to fire head coach Mike Shanahan, along with his son and other staffers, has sent waves across the sports world.

But the question for Richmonders is how will Shanahan’s removal impact the city’s training camp? After all, it was Shanahan who recommended the camp move out of the DC suburbs and away from the players homes.

Shanahan believed at the time it would improve team chemistry having a training camp.

“A new guy could come in and change what Shanahan did this past off season,”
CBS 6 Sports Anchor Sean Robertson said.

Robertson pointed to the fact that theoretically a new football coach could want his team practicing in the D.C. area, particularity at Redskins Park in Ashburn, where millions of dollars worth of renovations have been made in recent years.

The good news for Redskins fans however is the team does have a contract with the City of Richmond for a term of eight years and that contract is not contingent on who is coach.

But Robertson said there is a buyout option for the Redskins if the future coach wants to practice somewhere else.

“There is a buyout in that contract and if the new coach does not want to come to Richmond, he does have the right to talk to Dan Snyder about it,” Robertson added.

The Washington Redskins did not respond to requests for a comment regarding the future of Redskins camp.

At Richmond City Hall Monday, there was little talk about any potential move.

“We do not anticipate any impact on the training camp meeting in Richmond for the agreed upon term,” Press Secretary Tammy Hawley told CBS 6.

Instead City Council Members expressed more concern about not getting financial numbers yet from the mayor’s office regarding how much the city benefited from the 2013 camp.

Mayor Dwight Jones had previously said the city could enjoy a benefit of $8.5 million dollars annually for hosting the camp in exchange for providing funds to help build an $11 million facility.

Council President Charles Samuels told CBS 6 that City Hall had promised them numbers earlier in the year.

Jones’ Press Secretary Tammy Hawley told CBS 6 Reporter Joe St. George that Richmonders should expect the numbers on January 6.

As for Richmond businesses like the Home Town Grille, manager Mark Overby said he just hopes the team stays.

“It is an exciting time for Richmond,” Overby said, who added the camp ” wasn’t a huge impact” on his place.

2 comments

  • Jonesed says:

    Might need yet another Infamous “Jones Deal”.
    Amazing the Mayor was unavailable for comment, again.

  • MLee says:

    That would be about par for the course. No numbers from the Mayors office, little impact on the local economy it appears (thanks to probable corporate deals setting up chain restaurants at the venue with some kind of off to the side area for local vendors). Another boondoggle for the Richmond area. Even if they stay, it would appear the Mayors office is trying to juggle the books to come up with some kind of acceptable number. You can bet if it huge profits that number would have been released immediately…..Governments need to stop throwing around the taxpayer dollars like this subsidizing multi-million/billion dollar corporations. It’s just ripe for corruption. Will we never learn.

Comments are closed.