La Crosse firefighter responding to call dies in crash

Posted on: 2:33 pm, December 15, 2013, by and , updated on: 11:22pm, December 15, 2013

MECKLENBURG COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) — Firefighters in Mecklenburg County are remembering one of their own who was killed in the line of duty this weekend.

Twenty-five-year-old Josh Smith, a volunteer firefighter for the La Crosse Volunteer Fire Department, died in a single-car accident on Rocky Branch Road as he was responding to a fire call Saturday afternoon.

“Since day one, he was a dedicated volunteer, ” La Crosse Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mike Clark told CBS 6 senior reporter Wayne Covil.

Official said Smith, who grew up in the area, was liked and well-known in the community.

“The department is getting support from others, which they appreciate in these trying times,” Clark said.

Smith is the second La Crosse firefighter to die in the line of duty.

Mecklenburg County Sheriff Bobby Hawkins told Covil that Smith was “a fine young man” who loved being a firefighter.

Flags in Mecklenburg County will be flown at half-staff in Smith’s memory.

Photo Gallery Expand 1 of 4

• Lloyd says:

Sending thoughts and prayers to the family !!!!

• Billy Cathey says:

We are blessed by those who put their lives on the line as he did. You have my prayers for all.

• Becky says:

I am so sorry. Our first responders in our time of need are never heralded enough, paid enough, or saluted enough to honor their commitment. Thank you, Josh Smith, for your service and sacrifice
    to and for the public, along with the other members of the La Crosse
    Volunteers that stand ready to help even when the loss is so personal.

• Paula Kennedy says:

How very sad and such a young person. Many prayers to his family members, friends, and fellow fire fighter.

• kenetta lewis says:

I didn’t know you personally but very saddened by the news of your death. I pray that your family and loved ones find strength and comfort from the support bein shown in your honor. You rest in peace and thank u for your service and commitment.

• SANDRA WHEELER says:

I love you josh you will be missed God has gotten another angel thanks for your hard work and dedication to our fire department everyone will miss you dearly tell my mom and dad and two brothers that I said hello and I love them as well RIP MY FRIEND.