COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Va. (WTVR) – A fire inside a building that houses an auto body shop and three apartments was damaged in a fire Tuesday night. The fire inside Battlefield Body Shop on Bruce Ave. did $30,000 in damage, according to Colonial Heights Fire Lt. J. E. Boisseau.
“A working smoke detector alerted the occupants and they were able to escape without injury. The five displaced occupants are receiving assistance from Red Cross,” he wrote in an email.
Crews responded to the fire call about 11:27 p.m. and the fire was marked under control about 11: 40 p.m.
“The investigation is continuing, but investigators have not ruled out a failure of the electrical wiring,” Boisseau wrote.