Godwin teacher remains jailed following arrest

Posted on: 12:17 pm, November 13, 2013, by , , and , updated on: 12:28pm, November 13, 2013

Anthony Crowder01

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – A Mills Godwin High School teacher arrested after school Tuesday appeared in Henrico County Court Wednesday morning. Anthony Crowder, 40, was arraigned after being charged with two counts of sexual battery, according to Henrico Police Lt. Linda Toney.

In court Wednesday, Crowder told the judge he would hire his own attorney. Family members who attended Wednesday’s hearing said they had no comment about the arrest.

The crimes Crowder is accused of committing took place between 1987 and 1989, according to Lt. Toney. Crowder would have been between 14 and 16 years old at the time. The charges indicate his accusers were under the age of 13 when the alleged crimes took place.

Crowder’s alleged victims were other boys in his family, according to police.

“No other details will be released at this time,” Lt. Toney wrote in an email.

The legal threshold a grand jury must meet to indite someone is much less than the threshold a jury must meet to convict someone.

“The grand jury only has to find probable cause, so it’s a very low level,” CBS 6 legal analyst Todd Stone said. “To prove someone guilty you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. So, right now, he’s just accused of these offenses and  he’s still presumed innocent.”

Crowder, an earth science teacher, was arrested when he left Godwin High School Tuesday afternoon.

“Our understanding is that the matter involves neither school property nor our students. Until such time that more facts are known , we think it’s best to decline further comment and let the legal process run its course,” a Henrico Schools spokesman said in a statement.

Following the arrest, people reacted with messages of support for the teacher.

“I had Mr. Crowder as a teacher in middle school at John Rolfe. He never portrayed any actions of a sexual activity towards younger people. He was nothing but awesome to his children at school,” Nakia Williams posted on WTVR.com.

“I’ve known Mr. Crowder for several years and this is totally ridiculous. It would be difficult for anyone to find a more upstanding, respectable individual,” Chris S. posted.

Crowder is due back in court on Friday.

• Jordan Ketterer says:

Mr. Crowder is awesome and he wouldn’t do such a thing like that, I’ve only known him for a few months. He has never portrayed anyone nor put his hands on anyone. He comes in to class with a positive attitude and smile on his face, his class is the class i look forward to coming to EVERYDAY. FREE CROWDER!

• Anthony Garfield says:

hes innocent

• Jim says:

No your not

• Why would the woman wait 27 years to press charges!?! Mr.Crowder is and always be my favorite teacher. TWENTY SEVEN YEARS!! ALL SHE WANTS IS MONEY! MONEY MONEY MONEY! SHE IS A IMATURE WOMAN! I FEEL BAD FOR PEOPLE LIKE HER!

• Student says:

What time is his Friday court case?

• Rene, Marissa, Harrison, Jesse says:

Honestly Mr. Crowder was the greatest teacher we have ever had he never showed any signs of any inappropriate actions. We are in his class everyday for two hours and we have all formed a great bond with him. We always look forward to going to his class each and every day just to see the smile on his face. His classroom is like home to all of us by now and it’s awkward having someone else in his spot. Mr. Crowder will never be replaced. It’s hard to believe something that happened so long ago is being brought up now. It seems harsh that the victim is just now standing up for something that happened such a long time ago. This seems like a planned arrest because of the fact that it is dated all the way back to 1986. And the whole thing about how the police planned to come to the school then saw other police with their lights on and just followed them. There are already two different stories out right now about what happened.But which one is actually true?
    #FREECROWDER

• Elizabeth says:

He is definitely innocent. He’s not that kind of a person who would do something like that. He is a kind man who would make someone smile when they’re sad. He is an awesome teacher that makes hard things easy.

• Brandon Saunders says:

Mr. Crowder was the coolest teacher i’ve ever had… he would never

• Kristen Fadely says:

I had Crowder also as a Earth Science teacher in Middle School. He was an awesome teacher. This is truly a shock to see this on the news.

• Stacey Crigger says:

I had Mr. Crowder as my teacher at John Rolfe. He never had any sexual actions toward students or other adults as a matter of fact. Everyone who knows him can tell that that he is not the type of guy for something like this. He is Innocent.

• Stacey Crigger says:

He’s innocent. Mr. Crowder was not only a good teacher but he helped kids in the classroom. He helped kids smile when they are down, laugh when they are said, and he just always had a good time.

• WHY WOULD THEY PRESS CHARGES TWENTY SEVEN YEARS LATER?! GET OVER YOURSELVES POPORATIZZI! HE IS INNOCENT. HE HAS ALWAYS STUCK BY ME, SO NOW I WILL STICK BY HIM. HE IS MY LOYAL TEACHER AND I AM HIS LOYAL STUDENT.
    -TAYLOR WHITESCARVER

• Simone J. says:

Mr. Crowder was one of my favorite teachers. His profession involves kids for heavens sake. Don’t you think he would have had complaints before. Crowder is the type of man you would want your kids around not someone that kids fear. I know grown men that teach that you should be investigating, and believe me crowder is not one of them. Now, if he found not guilty I really hopes he sues because you just ruined an innocent man life. After hearing this what school is going to want to hire him. Be honest, you people should be ashamed. Please let me be a character witness when he goes to trial.

• Guess there was more to this story.

• John says:

fuck this shit

• k says:

im with you john fuck the person who is charging him

• victoria n says:

I’ve known Mr. Crowder for a little over a year now, and he isn’t the type of guy to do this. He’s very nice and didn’t think of his job as a job. He tried to get kids to like to work, and he doesn’t deserve this. Please let me be a character witness!

• Bill says:

Mr. Crowder is innocent. Never has he in class displayed any type of attitude to reflect that he may have done any of these charges. He is a good man and he is just a victim of someone who is somehow mad at him and is broke

• Christina Allston says:

He is innocent! Mr. Crowder is the best teacher ever! He is always going to be my favorite teacher! He always had a smile on our face and his class was the only thing to keep me looking forward to the end of the day. He always told jokes and put smiles on our faces every single day! He was thirteen at the time and doesn’t deserve this! He is a great person and I totally bevlieve that he wouldn’t EVER do anything to hurt anyone in this world! He doesn’t deserve this! FREE CROWDER!

• Pape says:

Yeah, cause y’all definitely knew him when hee was younger. Yeah, it’s true people change, but that doesn’t mean after they do what they did is erased. If he goes to jail then he did it. You all have know right to say these things against the accuser. Plus, you dont get money, they are not suing they are charging. #godwinkidsaredumb

• DC says:

It seems like some sort of witch hunt here! Remember, anyone can accuse you of anything anytime for any reason. He WAS a child at the time of this alleged abuse. Parents, this is a wake up call. Your child can pay the ultimate price for any transgression or feud later in life. Pay close attention to your children. Mr Crowder is innocent until proven guilty. Lets all remember that before we pass judgement!

• Sara R. says:

Ridiculous. I had Mr. Crowder last year and he was one of the kindest people I’ve ever met. Always nice, always cheerful, never yelled at us. He was probably the sweetest teacher I’ve ever had, such a calm guy. This is absolutely absurd. He needs to come back – Godwin misses him.

• M says:

FREE MR. CROWDER

• Devin L. says:

Mr. Crowder is a great man. I’ve talked to him almost every day since he’s arrived at Godwin High School, and he has always acted with respect and class. A great man, regardless of what he did millenniums ago, he deserves only the best. Excellent teacher and even better person.

• Thunder Kat says:

He will be free unless evidence that is substantial rise it just one persons word against another FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ANTHONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• Charlotte S. says:

Mr. Crowder is an amazing teacher and would never do such a thing to any student. He did this in 1986, things have changed and so has he.

• Minna A says:

Even though I have known mr crowder since the first day of school, He has been one of the best teachers I have ever had. Not only does he greet us with a smile every day whether he is happy or sad, but he puts the smiles on or faces as well as our peers, Mr. Crowder taught us in a way that we would understand the facts but in a way have fun with it. He was serious but at the same time playful with the way he taught! By the information you have giving us about this case, Mr. crowder was 13 at the time. He was just a teenager! Why is the so called victim pressing charges now?! People make mistakes and that just happened to be his. Teens are doing worse things now! So far he has not done anything since! #FREECROWDER! What time it the court on Friday?

• Stacey Crigger says:

#FREECROWDER
    Mr. Crowder is one of the best guys ever!! He is a good teacher and the man you see today is not the guy who was in 1986!! That was 27 years ago! He has changed!! Let him goo

• FREE CROWDER says:

Crowder better sue, i dont have him but this whole situation is bs.

• WSM says:

Mr. Crowder is by fat the best teacher I have ever had he was so cool and to earth and no doubt a great teacher and it really sad that the person waiter 27 years to bring this back up. YOUR NOT ALONE MR. CROWDER!!! #3rdperiodearthscience

• karleigh says:

Free Anthony Crowder. I had Mr.crowder three years in a row in middle school. We were close and he was also very close with my brother. Everybody loves mr.crowder. When i say everybody, I mean everybody. You have all of our support here from your old students that now go to varina highschool, I did not hear one negative comment about you from anyone at school. I love you man, sending prayers your way. -Karleigh

• Godwin_student says:

Mr. Crowder is definatly one of the most loved teachers at Godwin high school. Students have no concern over what has happened in his past, there concern lies in whether he will come back to teach or not, all his students want him back! Kids were crying over the fact he might not be back. Crowder is loved by every individual he teaches and has respect and care for all his students. Henrico County would be unjust to not allow him to teach anymore over an incident that occurred when he was a minor.

• Aaron W says:

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee CROWDER MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

• Aaron W says:

Everyone mr. crowder may be very nice person but we all have to remember this occured over 27 years ago almost three decaeds now thje ony reason this is happening is because the so called victim feels the need to publicized it and due to the fact that Virginia no statute of limitations law of any felony crime. As asinie this may be its still a very touchy matter due to the fact that the lack of evidence so essentially one persons word against anothers. FREE CROWDER MAN

• Kyle L. says:

Mr. Crowder is by far my favorite teacher. i dont care whatever the fuck he did when he was 13, we all did dumb things when we were young. He is my favorite teacher of all time, not to mention this is my first year in public schooL. FREE THIS MAN #FREECROWDER

• Jasmine says:

#freecrowder

• katina says:

My child had Mr Crowder as a teacher in 8th grade…she raves about him along with her friends. She is really upset that someone could ruin his life and reputation over something that may or may not have happened so long ago. Of course it was wrong if it took place but will he be punished as an adult or a child?? Ridiculous!!

• nirmeen says:

Ive only knew him for a couple of months and hes like the best teacher ever … this is soo messed upp !!!

• Nirmeen C. says:

#7thperiod earth scienceee !!!! that happened 27 yearss as yall were saying he was obviously under 18 soo im pretty suree half of the teenage boys in this world have made a mistakee b4 … how is the victim gonna sue him after 27 yearss -___- #FREEEECROWDERRRRRRRR

• Mr. Crowder is an awesome teacher. I am one of his students and he has never given any sign of sexual actions towards anyone. Crowder has always stood by me rain or shine, so now I am here to do the same. Police need to make up your mind! First a woman, now two boys?! Make up your mind. Mr.Crowder has influenced so many students at Godwin High school and many other places. He has made a place in serveral students hearts, and if you can’t see that, that is your loss. Why would the “victim” wait TWENTY SEVEN YEARS to press charges?! I bet you they need money and don’t know what to do! Also, the police have no proof. So how would Crowder be guilty? Exactly. You don’t have any photos, videos, or anything else except for words, like in the video, it says they need more than words. Why would you believe someone who waited TWENTY SEVEN YEARS to press charges?! Instead of believing people who know him way better than you? I hope you come to your senses soon. All of our lives are changed because you have taken away our favorite teacher, rolemodel, and best friend. Stay strong Crowder! We miss you and are here for you Crowder! We love you so much! #FREEOURBESTFRIEND #FREECROWDER

• George says:

Mr. Crowder is an amazing, out going, fun, helpful, loving, goofy guy who cares about every one around him. I can’t believe the police, who are suppose to be smart, are falling for this. I look up to the police, but I really do believe Crowder is innocent. I want to be a police officer when I get older. I have looked up to them all my life. But if they take a step back, look at the evidence (none), and see the timing of when the charges were pressed( 27 years later) , they will see that crowder is innocent.

• anonomus says:

I don’t know Crowder, but of the looks of the story, he is innocent

• Ryan Noe says:

I have Crowder for 6th period at Godwin and the past couple days have been absolutely awful without him here. Im actually in his class right now, and im bored out of my mind. Crowder always made the class fun, entertaining, and was always the best end to my day! #FREECROWDER

• LS says:

Unbelievable that Henrico suspends his pay! He is supposed to be innocent until PROVEN guilty. But the Superintendent on the other hand is still getting his pay, car and benefits. And oh yeah… Nobody in Henrico knows why he was suspended. No bias there!!! What a joke. All the info needs to come in. Why arrest him as he pulls out of school? Drama…Drama!! What was wrong with arresting him at home?

• Adam Terrell says:

This is asinine and bull shit he Is a awesome person that would never do such a thing SCREW THIS ALL

• J.G. says:

He is the best teacher I have ever had! I look forward to coming to his class every day. He puts a smile on your face even when you’re have a bad day. Science is not the same with out him.
    #FREECROWDER!!!

• J.T says:

Mr. Crowder is one of my biggest rolemodels. IF this crime occured, it was TWENTY SEVEN YEARS ago! Why did the so called “victim or victims” wait TWENTY SEVEN YEARS to press charges? Have you seen how many of his students he has impacted?? All of his students seem to care and love him more than the police or court will ever know. Crowder, I’m here for you man. #WAKEUP and #FREECROWDER

• anonomous says:

WOW. http://www.wtvr.com. You make it seem like it is something it is not. I just had a huge discussion with at least 500 people and we all agreed, you just lost all of our views, And we are spreading the word to not watch WTVR anymore because they make things look worse than they are. Your welcome. #FREECROWDER

• Talbott Holloway (a godwin student) says:

I also have Mr. Crowder for 6th period oceanography and it has been just depressing i have no more reason t be in his class. If Crowder is not guilty (which he is) he better be rehired or im dropping out.

• Bill says:

#FREE CROWDER
    27 years is more than enough time for someone to make a good enough story to get anybody arrested.

• Mikey K says:

I’ve never had Mr. Crowder as a teacher, so I may not have the right to talk about how much we all love him. His class was the one thing many of my friends looked forward too when coming to school. The way that everyone outside of the Godwin community is turning their backs to him is breaking our hearts comment after comment. I truly wish Mr. Crowder the best and hope that we might see him again one day

#FreeCrowder

• Student says:

Its been 27 years ago…time goes on…people change #FREECRODWER

• Brittany says:

I had Mr.Crowder for Earth Science my 8th grade year at John Rolfe and he was my favorite teacher. I hated science but i loved his class. He was very positive in class even if he was having a bad day, His students always came first and to see something like this is crazy to me. I honestly cant believe especially since it was so long ago. #FREECROWDER