Henrico teacher arrested leaving school

Posted on: 4:46 pm, November 12, 2013, by and , updated on: 06:44am, November 13, 2013

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – Anthony Crowder, an earth science teacher at Mills E. Godwin High, was arrested Tuesday afternoon.

A grand jury indicted the 40-year-old earlier in the day for two counts of aggravated sexual battery for a case dating back 27 years.

“You can bring felony cases from the mid-80s or even before that,” CBS 6 legal expert Todd Stone said. “There’s no statute of limitations in Virginia, but as the case gets further from the date it happened, you have to have more evidence than a victim’s word.”

Stone explains that aggravated sexual battery is essentially inappropriate touching.  The indictment against Crowder said the battery happened for a period of two years from the summer of 1986-88. And at the time the victim was younger than thirteen.

“When things are made public, victims who do not feel comfortable before may feel empowered to come out,” said Stone.  “We will just have to wait and see if this happens.

Henrico Schools released a statement saying:

“Our understanding is that the matter involves neither school property nor our students. Until such time that more facts are known , we think it’s best to decline further comment and let the legal process run its course.”

A former Godwin student whose brother had Crowder as a teacher, said he was surprised at the arrest.

“I was like, oh wow, it’s kind of hard to believe,” he said. “You know, you go to school and see these smiling teachers’ faces.  It’s deceiving, though.  You don’t really know who’s teaching you.”

These allegations are almost three decades old and did not occur on school property.

Mills E. Godwin High School opened in 1980, and has approximately 1,900 students attending classes.

• Melissa says:

27 years ago would have made this teacher 13 years old. I think they should look at the fact that this was the mind of a child

• emily says:

So I’m not the only one who noticed that he was 13… They say the victim was younger than 13 making it seem like there was a 10 year age difference or something.

• Chris says:

I know, right? What the…..? Is he going to be tried as an adolescent????

• athynz says:

As usual there is not enough information given. How old was the alleged victim? Why was there such a gap from when the alleged acts took place to his arrest 27 years later? And BTW simple math shows that he was 13 at the time.

• Fed Up Richmonder says:

cbs 6 news is a freakin joke for reporting this…really ya’ll just saw police cars zooming by and followed….bullll….im sure this was just something to try and get more publicity…and viewings…heres some advice…fir all your reporters cause they blow..even the weather guy…let Mark Holmberg do all the stories AND News for all i care.. he is the only reporter worth a hoot on yalls cast…
    ps You all sure do know how to over exploit someones personal lives and make someone feel much worse than they should for mistakes theyve made…Everyone makes mistakes..I hope the tables turn on yall one day…karmas not too far behind..

• William Davis (Godwin High Student) says:

cbs is not a joke. they were simply reporting the news as they got it so calm down the only one to blame here is Crowder not the police, not the news, and not the courts fault it is Crowder’s fault

• Jo says:

did u not notice that is said the poor man was 13?? i mean look at all the things his old students are saying!! This man isnt a monster, he was a 13 year old boy who was probly just beeing a silly 13 year old boy at the time!! Let this poor guy get his life back.

• Arlie says:

The # 1 rule of TV “journalism” is to never let facts get in the way of a good story . There’s a young girl in jail now for finally admitting she made up a false charge of sexual assault that cost her former neighbor several years in jail . This was a big story in the Richmond Times-Dispatch recently .

• Nakia Williams says:

I had Mr. Crowder as a teacher in middle school at John Rolfe. He never portrayed any actions of a sexual activity towards younger people. He was nothing but awesome to his children at school. I don’t believe that this trail is appropriate being that it happened so long ago. He’s actually paying for something that should have BEEN acted upon? I honestly don’t believe that any of this is right. On my behalf, I would like to say that he is a nice and great teacher and one should/will feel comfortable around him.

• Debra says:

How about HIS rights as a minor…. I think Channel 6 has jump the gun just to get “breaking news”. The other stations said nothing about it because they don’t have all the facts. Mr. Crowder should sue… they are making it sound like this was a recent incident and could ruin the reputation of an outstanding teacher.

• Jim says:

Yes he was 13 and I believe they have sensationalized this story to the detriment of this man, but the method and way they were aggressive to arrest him can only lead one to believe it could be quite bad. Also, depending on how bad it was then there may be further victims. However, if this is all conjecture or not truthful on someones part then this is a complete injustice to a teacher a lot of students truly like.

• vn says:

I’ve been going to Mister Crowder’s room every morning for over a year and he’s not one who would have done this. He was very nice to all his students and liked to make them laugh, he was one of the coolest teachers at Godwin. This story makes him look like a dog, and a very bad person when he is exactly the opposite.

• john says:

He is my science teacher

• RaulGroom says:

I have been telling people for years not to watch Channel 6 as they have no integrity and frankly are an affront to the very concept of journalism. Heads should roll over this fake story. This is a man’s life that you are helping to destroy in search of clickbait. I don’t know how any of you sleep at night. Quit your jobs and become loansharks or bookmakers or some sort of honest work, all of you.

I’ve never heard of this man before today but I hope he sues Channel 6 for everything you have and that this stain on the news business is wiped away from our city.

• Kathy says:

So sad a beloved teacher has to deal with something stupid he did as a CHILD.. touching really!? what 13 year old boy or even girl for that matter did not do something stupid at that age..

• Ash D. says:

I have Mr. Crowder now and he never showed any signs of sexual assult. I dont get it he was the best

• Jim From Glen Allen says:

[click] I’m not coming back, wtvr.com.

• Andile says:

The guy was 13 years old when he did it. And the person he “touched” must’ve been old enough to have the knowledge of what was going on. The victim had to be 10-12 years. This is just someone trying to ruin a person’s life.

• So this teacher was 13 when it happened?? A juvenile too at the time? I’m confused… Will he be tried as a juvenile since he was when it happened?

• v says:

He will probably be tried as a minor since this “happened” while under the adult age.

• D says:

a 13 year old kid. they explain the charge as inappropriate touching… yeah that’s kind of what they tend to do at that age. Sounds like somebody is just trying to stir stuff up.

• Jadasia Ferrell says:

I had Mr. Crowder as teach at John Rolfe. He was my favorite teacher. He was a kind and helpful teacher and I think to even put this story oout the is just ridiculous. (Coming from a journalist!)

• Amber Wiggins says:

When I was going to John Rolfe Middle School Mr. Crowder was my homeroom teacher and my science teacher. He was good friend to me and all of his students. He taught very well and made his teaching environment one to look forward to. Whenever he saw that you were in a bad mood he made it known that he was their to listen and help you get through whatever was going on. He has be been arrested for something that happened 27 years ago. Mr. Crowder was 13 when that happened he is now a 40 year old man. Whatever happened happened, I’m not taking up for whatever he may or may not have done but it happened. I understand it may have hurt someone but how are you going to arrest a man for something he did when he was a child. He Wasn’t even 16. I know anyone who did something when they were a child, has clearly moved on with their life and does not want to keep going back to their past. How much more evidence do you think the victim will have from something that happened 27 years ago? Everyone has done things they are not proud of but can you really continue a case after 27 years just because the victim may or may not have more evidence of what happened? Mr. Crowder will be in my prayers I hope nobody judges him for something that happened when he was a child.Because He Was an amazing teacher.

• n says:

I’m a student at Godwin and this news story has upset a lot of people here. It’s ridiculous that he’s being tried for something that he did as 13 years old. What 13 year old girl or boy in society today, hasn’t done something related to this? Why don’t you try every teenager in this state?

• Chena T Hilliard says:

Damn. Can y’all let that man be he was 13 Years. What 13year older ain’t did or said something stupid. Smh

• Miranda Stevens says:

This is crazy. He was science teacher & wouldnt hurt a fly!

• George says:

The most rediculous thing I have ever heardof. 13 years old, 27 years ago? Really? Great Job on closing such a big and important case. Why in the world would this even be brought up now? Does the family want recognition or something? Stupid Stupid stupid.

• Chris S. says:

I’m glad to see all the positive comments! I’ve known Mr. Crowder for several years and this is totally ridiculous. It would be difficult for anyone to find a more upstanding, respectable individual. Sounds to me, like others have said, that he was a child of 13 himself at the time. Come on, I’m sure the “victim” was doing plenty touching themself. Very disappointed at TV 6 for reporting this in a way that initially makes this sound like it happened recently, and when he was an adult. Just lost another viewer.

• scars says:

I don’t know whether he is guilty or innocent, but I do know that a 13 year old CAN be guilty of inappropriate touching. I know because I was molested by a family member who was 5 years older than me and it damaged me in ways that I still deal with today. He was old enough to know better. I wasn’t. He threatened me not to tell and I kept my mouth shut. Because I didn’t tell, others in my family were abused by him (both males and females) and it has left emotional damage in them as well. And it has left me with a profound sense of guilt for not speaking up. I could press charges now, but based on the comments here — the best thing a victim can do is just shut up and move on because no one will believe them.

• >=( says:

People don’t have anything else to do, so they ruin other people’s live

• I wonder who in the school system he pissed off?? It is often the good ones that “get it”.

• angel says:

When I was going to John Rolfe Middle School Mr. Crowder was my science teacher. He was good friend to me and all of his students. He taught very well and made his teaching environment one to look forward to. He’s not one who would have done this. He was very nice to all his students and liked to make them laugh, but people are making him look like a bad person from something that happen when he was 13.

• Alex says:

Omg he was my teacher last year. he was a really cool guy to every one in class

• Will Clark says:

Mr. Crowder was the best Friend and Science teacher I’ve EVER had. He was a care-free, easy going guy. He was never made and Sexual acts or advances toward any of the students. only thing he ever wanted was to make sure his students got the best out of their education!. I think this is completely just to take away from that man’s life. He was 13 at the time, like really there are those whom looked up to Crowder as a role model, and as such WILL STAND UP,AND BE BESIDE HIM! As he walks down to this path. WE ARE ALL WITH YOU MR. CROWDER!

• Will Clark says:

FREE MR. CROWDER!

• Sally says:

If he was 13 at the time, then is considered a juvenile and you cannot put a juvenile’s name in the news.

• William Davis (Godwin High Student) says:

If you were the victim and this happened to you how would you feel if everyone was writing these posts saying it has to be fake. if it is fake then its fake but you dont know so you cant say that it is fake. This kind of act can scar people so its possible that now they are not scared and are coming out because they want justice.

• Will Clark says:

Mr. Crowder was a dear Friend and Teacher. When I attended John Rolfe Middle School, I had Mr. Chowder and I was a very shy child and he helped me get over that and in all actually truth encouraged me to be myself and others would acctept me for who I was. He wasn’t just some guy who only saw his job as a means for money, but saw it as a way and chance to better our education. He didn’t just focus on teaching but connected with his students to were he could have been seen as a family member by his students. I’m now in High School, and I’m happy with my, I have made alot of friends that have been added to my “Family”. I’ve been sense gotten over my shyness, I Couldn’t have been able to without his guidece, thanks Mr. Crowder! ALL OF YOUR STUDENTS ARE HERE FOR YOU!
    ~William J. Clark

• I am Mr. Crowder’s class. Why would you arrest him for something that happened 27 years ago! If the woman wanted to press charges, why wouldn’t she of done it then? Exactly. All she wanted was money. Money, money, money. That’s all this society cares about. I go in early to school with a several other students to Mr. Crowder’s room. He has helped me through some really tough times. He is the best teacher ANYONE AND I MEAN ANYONE, could ever ask for. You can’t arrest him if you don’t have ANY proof! You didn’t get it on camera, voice recording, or anything else. It was 27 years ago! GET OVER YOURSELVES.

• Isa says:

I met Mr. Crowder this year, so i might not know him well but from what i know about him, what you guys are saying about him isnt the Mr. Crowder i know, he is a kind, funny guy and probably the best teacher i have ever had. And my opionion on this is that this is crap, if this really happened why would the girl wait 27 years to come forward, i do believe that Mr. Crowder is not guilty, and i will stand with my decision. I WILL NOT GIVE UP ON MR. CROWDER! We are here fo you Mr. Crowder, stay strong.

• Neighbor says:

I am moritified that this is happening to such a wonderful young man. I know him as a neighbor and know that he is a great and decent person. shame on the Channel 6 for releasing this info. This is not my idea of responsible journalism! Let’s wait until all the facts are in before reporting such hogwash!

• Evelyn says:

I am a graduate of Godwin High School. The way this story was reported is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. Hats off for ruining this poor man’s reputation and helping him to lose his job as a teacher about something that supposedly happened when he was 13 years old. I know students who have had this man as a teacher and who absolutely love him. I find it quite interesting that this abuse is just now getting brought up, decades later. Round of applause on your one-sided and biased reporting.

• Essence Stone says:

I had him as teacher and never has he displayed inappropriate actions. My thing is if it happened why didn’t they go through with the case back then? Why wait 27 years? What evidence could they possibly have now, that they didn’t have then? He would have been 13 years old, he can’t be tried as an adult even though he is now grown. It happening when he was 13, how are they going to try him in court? This story is bogus and I feel as if someone is just trying to ruin his life with such old accusations. If he wad accused and they had evidence he would have been charged then! Either it didn’t happen or it did and it was spoken on and then left alone , and has now been brough back up. Crowder is in my prayers and I hope he beats this!

• Godwin Student says:

Every morning I go to Crowder’s room and Godwin and sit in there till the bell rings. I am just mortified that they would accuse him of something that happened 27 years ago. So many students are upset about this. He is the sweetest, nicest, funniest, most caring teacher I’ve ever had. He pushes you to be the best you can be and he has helped me make new friends by pushing my peers and I to be ourselves. Not only was he focused on getting us the best education he could offer us, but he wanted us to have a positive outlook on school… To me and many others his classroom was a safe environment and as of now we feel deprived. We all want crowder back! FREE CROWDER!

• Brooke T. says:

I had Mr. Crowder when I went to John Rolfe Middle and he was the best teacher I EVER had!!! He was kind and understanding of problems and as many other people on here said, he was a best friend and mentor to MANY of his students. Mr. Crowder didn’t have a hurtful bone in his body! He helped all of his students the best he could and he didn’t take any bull! Mr. Crowder was 13!!! SERIOUSLY GUYS?! You people have nothing better to do than bring up a case that’s 27 years old and are now making a grown man pay for something he did as a child?! First off who ever decided NOW was the appropriate time to ruin this man’s life, well screw you! Mr. Crowder my heart goes out to you!

• J'nay Hill says:

Mr. Crowder was one of the best teachers I had at JRMS. He was always caring and helpful. I’ve had two teachers that impacted my life in middle school and he was one of them. Even when Elko opened, he stayed at JRMS which was a decision that I’ve always respected and appreciated. He’s taught so many members of my family and we all regard him as being an amazing teacher. So sad that he may lose his job over this

• M says:

this is ridiculous. mr. crowder is an incredible teacher and person! i go in to his room every morning with my friends to hang out before the bell and we always talk to him. im in modern dance club and he is our teacher sponser or whatever its called. he is so nice and funny to everyone. i didnt have him as a teacher but i wish i did. everyone who had him as a teacher loved him because he was a good teacher and made class fun. so i think its so dumb that these reporters are ruining his life. this might or might not have happened 27 years ago! he was 13! it just so STUPID! FREE MR. CROWDER!!!!

• Trevor "bro" Holt haha says:

#FreeCrowder

• JUSTICE!!! says:

How is it possible that after 27 years they come to take into account an error that was made in the past by a 13 year old! That should have been done at that time not to wait 27 years to do such stupidity. They destroyed this man’s life and his career and worst of all the humiliation it caused him and the school. FREE MR. CROWDER

• Ariana Bazzi says:

Mr. Crowder is absolutely awesome. It’s absolutely disgusting the way this went down, and to try and arrest the man at his own school in front of his students??? this is absolutely absurd and I hope his name is cleared faster than you slapped those cuffs on him #FREECROWDER

• Jasmine Reed says:

Mr. Crowder was a great friend and teacher. Listen, If this is true i’m sorry for whoever it happened to but it was 27 years ago he was 13. You’ve already sabotaged his life by bringing up a dead situation, he won’t be able to teach anymore. Furthermore, his alleged victims were boys in his family, why not tell a mom a dad an aunt an uncle, sister, brother, or cousin. If it is so bothersome as made seem why wait forty freakin’ years? A question for the victim(s).

• diane says:

and for all the young people posting to this….remember next time you are tempted to do something without thinking it thru… YES IT COULD COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU 27 YEARS DOWN THE ROAD!!!!

this is the most appalling situation, certainly should ever have been handled so publically as he was obviously a juvenile when it happened

• #FreeCrowder says:

Hey CBS 6, I saw two high school guys touch each other’s butts today. Write an article about this!!!!!

• Victoria Lockwood says:

The state law of Virginia states that a sexual assault arrest on a teacher can not be made IF the offender was not 18 years or older at the time of the offense. He was 13-15 during the years of the alleged “sexual battering.” He was probably just being a stupid teenage boy with his relatives, like most boys are. I had Mr. Crowder as an Oceanorgaphy teacher this year and he is by far the sweetest person I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. He is kind, considerate, and passionate about what he teaches. He is an excellent teacher and this accusation against him is obserd and completely out of line. Even if we as a state do not have a statue of liberations law, there is a law of age during the offense. And Mr. Crowder does not meet it. So Henrico County better see that this whole arrest is a huge mistake other wise the county can be sued for not following state law.

• Amber Wiggins (old student) says:

How long do you want a man to pay for something that happened when he was a child. People do grow up and mature so he i not the same person he was 27 years ago. Regardless of what happened why would you make a grown man keep having to re-live his past?

• ray says:

27 years ago!! he was 13 !! , he hasnt done anything in between! why now? why this? students love this man !!!