HOLMBERG: Offbeat Richmond sheriff’s candidate draws 10 percent of vote

Posted on: 12:50 am, November 6, 2013, by

RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) — Offbeat is a fair word to describe failed Richmond sheriff’s candidate Chris Dorsey who, despite limited funding, managed to draw about 10 percent of the vote.

Problematic is another word used by some of the young Occupy Richmond folks who got tired of “the Chris Dorsey show” during Richmond’s Occupy movement.

Dorsey, a pistol-packing Chesterfield native who has lived in the city most of his adult life, has videotaped confrontations with Secret Service agents, city council members, deputies and much higher ranking officers.

He’s a frequent speaker, occasionally disruptive, at city council and other Richmond government hearings.

Dorsey considers himself a strict Constitutionalist and says “we do have a government that is 100 percent corrupt . . . They belong in jail. They don’t belong serving the people.” He calls the sitting sheriff a “criminal” whose misdeeds (Dorsey claims nepotism and unsafe jail conditions) are “costing the taxpayers millions.”

C.T. Woody, a former legendary Richmond homicide detective and the successful – by a large margin – incumbent sheriff, doesn’t mince words when it comes to Dorsey:

What’s Chris Dorsey about? Is he some kind of freak – a menace – or a truth teller?

Watch our video and decide for yourself. (As you watch, remember, he attracted 10 percent of the votes.)

But don’t think he’s going away. He said he may be setting his sights on the mayor’s race. He says that office, too, desperately needs a democratic cleansing.

Mayor “Dwight Jones has very few things that come naturally to him,” Dorsey says. “But corruption is certainly one of those things.”

So it goes with Chris Dorsey, who regrets losing the race – in part – because he won’t get to slam the city jail doors on some of Richmond’s politicians.

• Glen Allen says:

““He’s a lunatic on the wild . . . To me,” Woody added, “he’s the lowest thing in the ocean, and that’s whale crap.” – While I would NOT have voted for Chris Dorsey, I think this statement by an elected official is inappropriate, and I believe Woody owes Mr. Dorsey, and the general public, an apology. Someone please remind Mr. Woody that he does represent the City as a whole, just like all other city employees, and is therefore expected to act in a professional manner.

• AVA says:

“he’s the lowest thing in the ocean, and that’s whale crap.” It make me uncomfortable that we have a sheriff in office that actively looks down upon people. Disgraceful.

• CBS 6 you left the finish off of your video…

• Adam says:

Hah I know Chris, and you can form your own opinion about him, hes a bit radical, but he has a right to express his thoughts and be active about them, I applaud him for standing up for his beliefs, hes got balls. I dont agree with the way he’s been presenting himself, as it does shun some folks since hes a bit radical, but he certainly does point out that our officials are indeed corrupt, which is painfully true and obvious…

• Nietzche says:

While Dorsey may be a little off the rails, we must respect his determination and commitment to bettering the lives of the citizens in Richmond, VA. Looking over CT Woody’s track record, we should remember his sexual battery allegations, nepotism, deaths in the jail, allegations of inhumane treatment in the jail, and the many lawsuits that were filed, including the recent one relating to the unfair termination of an employee. Is this really who we want to be our Sheriff? It amazes me how that both senators, city council, and the mayor still endorse him. I believe he gets most of his votes, just because of his party affiliation on the ballot, even though I struggle to see what is so partisan about the sheriff’s duties. While the sheriff does have police powers throughout the city, typically they only serve warrants and run the jails. Voting for Dorsey gives Richmond an opportunity for change in our law enforcement policies, and ultimately much of our policy making decisions. I can fully understand why so many are turned away from Dorsey because of his demeanor, however his determination for change is admirable. It is us, the citizens and voters, who need to become more informed and help people like Mr. Dorsey have an opportunity to help us.

• Ray Gunn says:

I myself was a Richmonder for 57 years and I also find the words that an elected official would choose to describe his opponent as disturbing to say the least.The elected officials of Richmond have always been suspect when it comes to morals.Sheriff Wooy won and Mr. Dorsey lost.Karma is a wonderful thing it always gets you in the end.

• John says:

Chris Dorsey may not make a lot of friends on City Council or in Richmond Government. He is persistent at finding corruption in government and exposing it. He may never win an election with this agenda, as nobody elected in Richmond is going to endorse him. The only person on City Council that shows him respect is Reva Trammell. She is open minded to respecting everyone’s viewpoint, even if she doesn’t agree with the person she will give them a chance to present their argument.

• lordnelga says:

I am a press photographer / citizen photojournalist, and I have been following Chris Dorsey for almost two years now. First I’d will say way to go Chris Dorsey he did a fine job getting 10% in a rigged election. I have been following Chris Dorsey on my blog and have several videos where he showed the election was fraudulent. I support him and will continue to support him in his efforts to clean up the city we live in. I have seen city council cut his microphone off, seen them tell him his time was up when the clock wasn’t even running. I have witnessed what has been happening in this city, had my share of bad at the hands of the city. I have been fighting the city for the past decade, and Chris Dorsey in my opinion is a breath of fresh air. Keep up the good work Chris Dorsey. We need more like him in the city who will stand up.

• lordnelga says:

Also if CT Woody were such a great guy how come he has never debated against Chris Dorsey and runs and hides every time Chris confronts him? Is it because Woody has a lot to hide? I say yes his crimes need to be made public and Chris is doing that. Thanks for letting me comment and thanks Mark Holmberg for the first real piece I have seen on Chris that wasn’t a hit piece.

• Woody’s comments are provocatory & bullying. I have no respect for him, that’s for sure.

• He isn’t lying. My hand is permanently disfigured because the jail did not take me back for follow up treatment on it. I broke my hand in the jail, they took me to the hospital, they put paper mache on my hand and then ace bandage around it. They said it was “temporary” and I needed to come back within a week to get a permanent one made of plastic. They never took me back. Also because it had been 100+ degrees in their the sweat kept making my bandages come off. I asked the deputy to call medical repeatedly and they always told me they did. Medical would never come. I had to learn how to wrap and unwrap my own bandages. They ended up taking me back for a follow up treatment over a month later. The doctor at the hospital said “We were supposed to see you weeks ago!” and I told her “That’s what I have been trying to tell them” and then she proceeded to tell me their was nothing they could do now because my hand had already healed. Now it is misshapen. I have also seen deputies reward inmates extra trays for beating up other inmates. Woody NEVER goes around the jail except maybe 3 or 4 times a year. When he is around you know because they treat him like a king. The Colonel, not Pruitt the Chaplin but the other one. He is ridiculous too. He would put people in the strip cell as a form of punishment. That is meant for people on suicide watch. A3-Right when I was there was filled with roaches. dozens at a single glance at night. There is no ac and the “medical tier” has large walls that prevent any airflow from the fans they do have. So the people who need cool air the most. The sick and Injured. They get the worst conditions. There is inhumane conditions and treatment within that jail and that is exactly why the pictures and videos you see in the jail are limited to the one with inmates walking in the line. There are only 10 cameras in the whole jail and none are where the inmates are. People get hurt real bad and no cameras means it happens more often. Cameras aren’t even expensive. I’ve been trying to find a lawyer for a civil suit for my hand but I am not sure where to go as I am on SSI and poor. I tried calling legal aid but they keep saying they aren’t open even though it’s during normal business hours.