‘Klan’ Facebook post creates Election Day firestorm in Hopewell

Posted on: 5:37 pm, November 5, 2013, by and , updated on: 06:38pm, November 5, 2013

HOPEWELL, Va. (WTVR) — A city council member’s Election Day Facebook post has folks buzzing in Hopewell.

The post by Hopewell City Council’s Brenda Pelham states Hopewell Sheriff candidate Cathie Mitchell and Commonwealth’s Attorney Rick Newman “were a part of the klan” that worked to make the first African-American Hopewell chief of police resign.

Mitchell and Newman told CBS 6 News senior reporter Wayne Covil that Pelham is trying to sabotage their campaigns by implying they are members of the Ku Klux Klan.

However, Pelham, said she was just voicing her opinion on Facebook  and was surprised when people pointed out that she spelled clan with a “k.” She said it was a simple spelling error.

“It probably was done subconsciously,” said Pelham. “It had nothing to do with, with people are accusing me of — against the klan as the KKK.”

PelhamFBpost

It’s not Brenda Pelham’s first controversy while in office, but the Facebook post has ruffled quite a few feathers.

In fact, Newman and Mitchell call it a political attack.

“For her to say something like that is really horrendous,” said Hopewell Commonwealth’s Attorney Rick Newman. “That basically I was a racist and belonged to the Ku Klux Klan, is the way I took it.”

Mitchell, a candidate for Hopewell sheriff, said she was appalled when she read the post.

Newman and Mitchell maintain that they had nothing to do with the former police chief’s resignation. The pair thinks Pelham’s use of “k” was intentional — and slanderous.

“He was the first African-American chief and you put a ‘k’ with it…. What are you supposed to think?” asked Newman.

Pelham said she won’t take down the post and that when she referred to the clan she was talking about “a group of people who helped toss out our first African-American chief of police.”

The post left some voters concerned. But others think it was a simple mistake.

“It concerns me when it brings somebody’s character down, that I know is not that type of person,” said Vannette Taylor.

Margaret Jackson, another constituent, said she believes it was a mistake because that is “not Ms. Pelham’s character.”

Brenda Pellham remains adamant that her use of klan was a simple misspelling.

“If you’re convicted by a word, that’s your choice, but I know my intent,” Pellham said.

• Sean says:

Pelham’s entire message on Facebook is saturated with grammatical errors!

• steve says:

The C and K are no where near each other on keyboard or a phone she was insinuating they are racist and the only reason he is no longer chief is because he was black. I’m white all none of the whites I know are racist I know plenty of black racist people. The only time race or racism is brought up is when black people use it. If they would stop throwing race in things it would disappear. Ever thought the chief sucked and thats why he doesn’t have a job? It doesn’t matter if your red green or purple if you suck you suck plain and simple

• steve says:

Im sorry but the C and K are no where near each other on phone or keyboard. And it was not auto correct you know what her intentions where

• Larry Lanberg says:

Notice how she used a capital “K”. If she ‘meant’ to use clan, but simply mispelled, then the “k” would’ve been lower case.

Try again, Ms. Pelham. No takers or suckers here.

• ron.mcgarrity says:

it was no mistake she has always been like that

• Butch says:

o hell yea look who won, that means no one listen to u Pelham, so go away, hehehehe

• Mitch says:

I cannot believe this woman! I think it’s funny how she uses such low tactics and BAM, Luther wins. Most people in Hopewell didn’t even vote, and I could bet all the money in the world that they didn’t vote because they believed in Cathie but didn’t want to be called racist because of this ignorant woman. They should all be ashamed of themselves. The majority of voters were African-American and it just so happens this post comes out right before the voting takes place. She’s throwing the race card out there like confetti. Her grammar may be horrid but she is a sneaky, sneaky RAT! And I personally don’t believe we need RATS having an voice. A well thought out scheme from a disgusting human being. She should be fired and there should be a re-election. What a shame how low people will go. What a shame.