ALERT: Police chase ends when SUV slams into tree in Bryan Park

Fire pit ashes blamed for West End shed fire

Shed Fire on Myradare Dr. (PHOTO: Henrico Fire)

Shed Fire on Myradare Dr. (PHOTO: Henrico Fire)

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – Ashes from an outdoor fire pit dumped behind a West End shed sparked an afternoon fire, according to Henrico Fire Captain Daniel Rosenbaum. Fire crews were called to the 1400 block of Myradare Drive, near Freeman High School, about 2:30 p.m.

“The call for service initially came in as a brush fire, but was upgraded to a full structure fire assignment soon after,” Captain Rosenbaum wrote in an email. “One of Henrico Fire’s Fire Marshals was in the area and first on scene. He reported heavy fire involving the rear of a 12 x 20 foot shed. The shed was about 25 feet from the main house. The first engine company arrived several minutes later and extinguished the fire.”

No one was hurt in the fire.

“Coals from a fire can stay hot enough to cause a fire for days,” Rosenbaum wrote. “Henrico fire urges everyone to properly dispose of ashes from fire pits or fire places in a metal container. Douse the ashes with water. Place the container outside, away from other combustibles.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,549 other followers