Jerry Lewis dead at 91
Driver killed in Powhatan crash
2 fatal shootings in East End
Dick Gregory dead at 84
Pilot killed in crash ran flight school
Pilot dies in New Kent plane crash

Child, 2 others sent to hospital after fire in Henrico

HENRICO, Va. (WTVR) — A man, a woman and a child had to be taken to the hospital for treatment after a Tuesday morning apartment fire in Henrico.

The fire broke out shortly after 2:30 a.m. in an apartment in the 300 block of Engleside Drive in the Essex Village apartment complex.

Firefighters said the blaze broke out while the homeowner was cooking. They say the man was burned while trying to remove the pot from the stove. A woman and a child were also taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The Henrico fire department says kitchen fires continue to be the number one cause of fires nationally and in Henrico County. There were three kitchen fires in Henrico County alone on Monday and Tuesday.

Firefighters want to remind you to always keep a lid for your cooking pot close when cooking with oil, and never try to move a burning pot from the stove.  You should always allow the pot to fully cool before removing it from the stove.