Redskins name change stirs up nationwide controversy

Posted on: 9:21 pm, October 5, 2013, by and , updated on: 05:30pm, October 6, 2013

RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – The Redskins’ name has recently been criticized for being offensive to Native Americans. Local leaders in Washington have gotten involved and are calling for a name change.

The debacle over the name even has some fans upset. Aucet Wilson is a dedicated Redskins fan, but thinks the name has got to go.

“If you look it up in a dictionary, it has a negative connotation to it,” Wilson says.

The name has stirred up enough controversy to get the resident’s attention. In a recent interview with the Associated Press, President Obama said that if he owned the team he would consider a name change.

Nationwide, people are contributing to the conversation of a Redskins name change. The NFL’s Commissioner has publicly stated that the league should listen to the criticism.

Native American leaders applauded the president’s stance on the issue and are calling for the NFL to end its use of a racial slur as a it’s mascot.

“As the first sitting President to speak out against the Washington team name, President Obama’s comments are truly historic,” said Ray Halbritter of the Oneida Indian Nation Representative.

Others disagree completely, saying the name is far from any inappropriate associations.

“I don’t understand why Native Americans would consider a football team call the Redskins to be offensive because it’s not a team directed at the Native Americans,” said Jamie Williams.

And while this controversy is far from over, Aucet Wilson has brainstormed up a better idea for the Redskins.

“The Washington Warriors would be a really good name for the team – if they ask me,” said Wilson.

RELATED: Redskins attorney: “We love our team and its name”

• carolyn deckler says:

I HAVE INDIAN HERITAGE. VERY FAR BACK. STILL I FEEL THAT THE NAME HONORS THE ORGINAL AMERICANS. NO BETTER PLACE TO DO THAT BUT IN WASHINGTON WHERE THE NEW COUNTRY NOW IS HEADED UP. I AM ANGERED WHEN THOSE ARGUE THAT IT IS OFFENSIVE. IN ILLINOIS THEY HAVE TAKEN AWAY CHEIF ILLINI. THAT IS THE STATE OF MY HERITAGE AND I AM PROUD OF THE BIG TEN SCHOOL HONORING THAT STATE HERITAGE. I THINK THAT MORE SCHOOLS AND INSTITUTIONS SHOULD NAME THEIR SCHOOLS AND ORGANIZATIONS WITH NAMES THAT DENOTE THIS COUNTRIES HERITAGE ON THIS LAND, NOT THAT WHICH CAME FROM OVERSEAS. LESS VIKINGS, TROJANS AND THE LIKE AND MORE ORIGINAL AMERICAN HERITAGE.

• Becky says:

So glad to hear from an American Indian on this issue instead of
      the PC police to their will solely for ALL..

• Carolyn Ozment says:

What is wrong with the American people today? There is not one single person in this country who could not find something to complain about because the American Indian is truly the only real American. Have we all become so accustomed to suing for some trivial nonsense because we are being disrespected we just can’t handle it? And for the President of the United States to even comment on such nonsense with the state of the government right now is completely ludicrous. This football team has held this name for over 80 years and it has held it with pride and honor. What in God’s name would make anyone believe it to be an insult to the culture. It is a pride and admiration and only a simple mind or someone looking for publicity and/or notoriety would waste the time and money put into this frivolous lawsuit. I completely understand why the world hates America so much because we prove every day what spoiled and self serving people we tend to be. Grow up America! You have much bigger things to be concerned about.

• Lance Holmes says:

I am native and a member of the Chickahominy Tribe. I have been a Redskins fan all of my life and have always taken pride in the team name and uniforms. People would not even know what the name meant if the media had not put it out there. It absolutely makes me sick that the government wants to get involved and make us one of their lil special interest groups all to try and gain more votes. I think they should ask us how we feel as the ones who are supposedly offended by the name, and not just use us as pawns in their political game of chess. Just leave us alone we are not interested in being your victims or placed into one of your special interest groups.

• carole matthews says:

Leave the name alone just change the logo from an Indian Head to a potato. (you know, as in a red-skin potato ! ) Problem solved ! Just ask a woman….men make everything soooo complicated!

• Patti says:

Mr. Obama – don’t you have more important things to do than worry about a football team’s name?

• Becky says:

So glad to hear from an American Indian on this issue and recognizing
    that there is honor in the name, the people, of Our Country that is being recognized.
    Correct-mess is not always Right.

• Jennifer says:

I too have American Indian heritage, and not that far back. I think a lot of Americans do. My thoughts are … unless the majority of Indians are against the name, then change it. After all, they were here before there was an “America”. However, if it is few and far between, then leave the name alone. It’s been that name for MANY years. It seems that people get way too offended now days. I think other people spark these “offenses”, like lawyers, who look for something to stir up to make money off of and make a name for themselves. As far as Obama – he needs to focus on more important things that should be taken care of from the Oval Office. He’s always “inserting” his opinion on things before he knows all of the details and things that have NOTHING to do with his job.

• Chad says:

I am a redskin fan 4lIfe

• Jo Ann Miffleton says:

Obama needs to focus on his REAL job, and leave the Redskins alone. This country is a hot mess!!