Problem Solvers on Facebook
ENTER NOW: Win $600 on CBS 6 at 6:30 a.m. this week

Award given to teen who rescued blind grandmother from fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE: On Tuesday 13-year-old  Mckinley Johnson received an award from the Henrico Board of Supervisors for saving his grandmother from a house fire.

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) –  Fire crews were called out to a house fire Friday afternoon in the 9200 block of Tweed Place in Glen Allen.

gmaFirefighters were dispatched around 4 p.m. after a 13-year -old heard the home’s smoke detector going off when he arrived home.

Officials said the teen ran inside the smoke-filled home and managed to get his grandmother out safety.

“I walked up to the door and she went to open the door and I heard the fire alarm,” said Mckinley Johnson. “And I went in and it was a bunch of smoke and I went and helped my grandma out. And I looked at the fire and then I called the police."

"I'm thankful that he did it. I'm happy, and I thank all of you for coming,” said Sarah Henry.

Ms. Henry believes the fire started in the microwave, but there has been no official word yet from firefighters.