TRACK STORMS: Use CBS 6 Interactive Radar

Calif. teen dies after eating Rice Krispies Treat

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA) -- A California family is hoping others learn from a tragic accident that claimed the life of a teenage girl.

Natalie Giorgi had a severe peanut allergy and immediately knew she was in trouble when she bit into a Rice Krispies Treat at an event in Sacramento last month.

Despite efforts to save her, the 13-year-old later died in the arms of her father.

Her parents said Friday that they hope her death can help prevent other accidents like this from happening.

The Giorgis hope this tragedy can lead to a national discussion that stresses how dangerous some food allergies can be.

Watch the video above for the interview with the family.