Egypt protest marches canceled due to snipers
(CNN) – [Breaking news update 10:32 a.m. ET]
The Muslim Brotherhood has canceled protest marches planned for Sunday in Egypt, citing snipers on buildings along the march routes.
[Previous story published 7:15 a.m. ET]
Egypt’s interim government implored the global community to listen to its side after days of deadly violence across the country.
Members of the foreign ministry showed a video-and-photo montage Sunday of recent carnage, blaming terrorists for the chaos. The foreign ministry also lambasted international media, saying outlets have been sympathetic to protesters who support ousted President Mohamed Morsy and the Muslim Brotherhood.
But supporters of Morsy have said Egyptian security forces instigated the violence that has killed hundreds in recent days, starting with a dawn raid at two pro-Morsy protest camps last week.
The bloody impasse between those who want Morsy back in power and the country’s military-backed interim government could get uglier Sunday.
Protests in Cairo and Giza will begin following afternoon prayers, the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party said. It’s part of the Brotherhood’s planned week-long protests to reject the coup that overthrew Morsy.
Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy acknowledged the country is in a state of uncertainty. He said the interim government is “trying to identify the political identity so we can move forward.”
“We are still open to any ideas or suggestions” from the global community, Fahmy told reporters Sunday. But in the end, “the decision is Egyptian.”
Fahmy also said he greatly appreciated the foreign aid that Egypt gets. The United States, for example, gives Egypt more than $1 billion a year.
“We are very thankful for the aid. But it should not be targeted,” Fahmy said. “The threat of stopping aid in this period is not acceptable.”
ElBaradei takes off
On the same day, former Egyptian interim vice-president Mohamed ElBaradei boarded a flight to Austria after the interim president accepted his resignation, the state-run EGYnews site said Sunday.
ElBaradei — a secular leader who was one of Morsy’s biggest critics — submitted his resignation Wednesday as vice president.
He said he didn’t agree with decisions carried out by the ruling government and “cannot be responsible for a single (drop of) blood.”
Meanwhile, the turmoil in Egypt continues to spread overseas.
Members of the European Union announced Sunday that the body will “urgently review in the coming days its relations with Egypt and adopt measures” aimed at ending violence, resuming political dialogue and returning to a democratic process.
Mosque arrests pile up
Egyptian security forces have arrested hundreds of people from a mosque where throngs of Morsy supporters were hiding.
The 353 arrested from the Al-Fateh mosque in Cairo included several foreigners — three Irish, one Turkish and one Syrian, the Egyptian Interior Ministry said. The ministry also said two automatic rifles and 24 Molotov cocktail bottles were confiscated.
Hundreds of Morsy supporters had been holed up in the Al-Fateh mosque, which became an epicenter of confrontations between protesters and the military Saturday.
CNN’s Ian Lee and Joseph Netto contributed to this report.