HENRICO, Va (WTVR) -- A woman has been taken to the hospital after she apparently burned herself getting into the tub two or three days ago.
Henrico fire crews said when the woman called for help Tuesday afternoon, she was found unresponsive lying outside her bathtub in her home in the 3000 block of Triple Notch Way.
James Mellon, a spokesperson with the Henrico County Fire Department, said the woman had significant burns from her waist down and on both hands and wrists.
Crews rushed the victim to VCU Medical Center where she was listed in critical condition, but it is unclear if the burns are life threatening.
Hazmat crews were called because crews were uncertain exactly what was in the tub. However, tests revealed that water was the only substance in the tub. Based on information from the victim, crews think the burns were caused by very hot water.
Mellon said this case illustrates the danger of hot water.
In fact, Mellon said people should make sure their hot water tanks are set below 140 degrees -- or no higher than the red line. That's because most hot water heaters have a setting with a red line showing at what point water can burn skin.