RICHMOND, Va (WTVR)- Lace up your running shoes and get ready for the Monument Avenue 10K. The event is expected to have over 40,000 participants and cause major traffic delays.
- 6:45 – 9:30 AM • Times-Dispatch Dress Up & Run Contest check-in at Monroe Park
- 7:30 AM – 1:30 PM • Bike Valet service available in parking deck at Laurel & Grace Street
- 7:30 AM • Blessing of the Runners at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart
- 7:30 AM – 1:00 PM • Amica Insurance Bag Check available in Monroe Park (Laurel & Main Street)
- 8:00 AM • Virginia 529 Kids Run starts on Cathedral Place near Laurel Street
- 8:30 AM • Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k start–in waves at Broad Street & Harrison Street
- 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM • SUBWAY Post Race Festival at Monroe Park
- 9:45 AM • Awards Ceremony
Here’s the details on what closures you should be aware of Friday and Saturday.
Friday April 12
- 1 p.m. Friday, April 12, to 3 p.m. Saturday. Both sides of Franklin Street from Laurel to Belvidere
- 3 p.m. No Parking goes into effect on Franklin Street from Shafer to Belvidere
- 3 p.m. No Parking goes into effect on Broad St from Belvidere to Lombardy
- 4 p.m. Towing goes into effect on Broad St between Laurel and Belvidere
- 5 p.m. Franklin St.- CLOSED between Laurel and Belvidere through 3 p.m. Saturday
Saturday April 13
- The exit ramp from westbound downtown expressway to Belvidere will be closed from 6 AM to 3 PM on event day to allow shuttles to load and unload on Canal St.
- Broad Street will be closed between Belvidere Street and Lombardy Street from 4 AM to Noon. The recommended detour for westbound traffic is right on Belvidere Street to 95 North. The recommended detour for eastbound traffic is left on Allen Avenue, right on Leigh Street, right on Belvidere. Motorists are encouraged to use I-95 as an alternate.
- Park Avenue will close from Shafer Court to Lombardy Street/Stuart Circle from 6 AM to 9 AM.
- Laurel Street will be closed between Main and Broad Street from 4 AM to 3 PM.
- Franklin Street will be closed between Belvidere and Laurel from 5 PM Friday, April 12 until 3 PM April 13.
- Franklin Street will be closed between Laurel and Stuart Circle from 4 AM to 3 PM.
- Harrison Street will be closed from Park Avenue to Marshall from 4 AM to 2 PM.
- Cathedral Place will close from Laurel to Shafer Court from 4 AM to 3 PM.
- Lombardy Street will be closed between Broad Street and Hanover Avenue from 7 AM to 2:30 PM.
- Hanover Avenue from Plum to Lombardy will be closed from 7 AM to 9 AM.
- Grace Street will be closed between Belvidere Street and Allen Avenue from 7 AM to 12 PM.
- Monument Avenue will be closed between Staples Mill Road and Stuart Circle (Lombardy Street) from 7 AM to 2:00 PM. The recommended detour for eastbound traffic is left on Staples Mill Road, right on Broad Street, left on Allen Avenue, right on Leigh Street, right on Belvidere Street. The recommended detour for westbound traffic is right on Belvidere Street, left on Leigh Street, left on Allen Avenue, right on Broad Street.
- Chantilly Street will be closed from Monumental Street to Monument Avenue from 5 AM to 1 PM.
- The Boulevard will be closed at Monument Avenue from 8:30 AM to 12 PM. The recommended detour for northbound traffic is left on Park Avenue, right on Thompson Street to 195. The recommended detour for southbound traffic is right on Grace Street, right on Thompson Street, left on Broad Street, left on Hamilton Street to 195.
- Kent Road will be closed from Wythe to Monument Avenue from 4 AM to 2 PM.
- Canal Street will be closed from 2nd Street to Belvidere from 5 AM until 3 PM.
There will be many street closings for all north and south streets intersecting Monument Avenue and Franklin Street from Staples Mill Road to Belvidere Street. Motorists are strongly encouraged to use I-95 and I-195 to travel around the city.
WINN Transportation will offer race day shuttle service. The pickup locations are at City Stadium and The Diamond. Crucial information though: you have to purchase a ticket ($5) at the Health & Fitness Expo during packet pickup hours.
New this year is a free bike valet service at the VCU parking deck at the corner of Laurel and Grace streets, available only to registered runners.