TRACK STORMS: Click to use CBS 6 Interactive Radar

Family Awarded $63M By Superior Court

gavelwood

BOSTON, MA – A Massachusetts jury ruled Wednesday that Johnson & Johnson will have to award $63 million to a Massachusetts family.

According to the Clarion Ledger, Samantha Reckis and her parents were awarded the money after she suffered from toxic epidermal necrolysis.

Reckis took a children’s Motrin brand ibuprofen when she was 7-years-old.  The pill caused a poisonous reaction.

Reckis’ reactions to the pain reliever included losing 90 percent of her skin and going blind. She had been diagnosed with the rare side effect nearly ten years ago. Samantha Reckis is a teenager now, and an honor student.

She suffered short-term memory loss from brain damage and her respiratory system was also affected by the necrolysis.

The trial spanned five weeks. The jury awarded $50 million to Samantha and $6.5 million to each of her parents.

For more details The Clarion Ledger

PHOTOS: Faces of Meth — Before and After PHOTOS: No Pants Subway Ride PHOTOS: Awkward Family Photos

Click here to read more trending stories on WTVR.com.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,781 other followers