ON YOUR MENU: Build Your Own Mexican Salad
Build Your Own Mexican Salad
- Chili (recipe below)
- Small box rice, cooked
- 2 large bags of corn chips
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped lettuce
- Fresh chopped tomatoes
- Fresh chopped onions
- 1 jar chopped green salad olives
- Chopped pecans
- Picante sauce
- Sour cream
- 4 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 (28oz.) can tomatoes
- 2 (6oz.) cans tomato paste
- 1 (30oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 (46oz.) can barbecue style pinto beans
- Cumin (to taste)
- In a large oven-proof pan, saute ground beef with onions and drain.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomanto sauce, chili powder, garlic salt, pinto beans and cumin to taste.
- Cook in a 200 to 235 degree oven for several hours.
- When ready to serve, line up ingredients 2 through 12 in serving bowls and let guest build their own salads.
This recipe serves about 20 people. Divide accordingly if serving fewer people.
This chili freezes well.