Gas leak prompts evacuation of Richmond residents
RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR)—Richmond residents living the east end of the city, near Fairfield Court elementary school were evacuated from their homes because of a gas leak.
They have since been allowed to return, although gas won’t be restored until Monday.
Around 3:35 p.m., Richmond firefighters were dispatched for a report of a strong smell of gas, confirmed Lt. Hagaman.
Once crews arrived on scene there was a very strong odor.
Crews found that a gas main had ruptured near the 2500 block of Phaup Street, near Fairfield Court Elementary School.
Right now fire crews are evacuating a two-square block area, of the 2500-2700 blocks, said Lt. Hagaman.
Traffic is shut down near Phaup, Fairfield, Kane, 26th and 27th Streets.
GRTC is helping to assist residents that are being evacuated.