RICHMOND, Va. — It’s that time of year where you can help make the holidays brighter for over 900 homebound elderly and disabled neighbors in our community.
Each year, Meals on Wheels, in conjunction with McKesson Medical-Surgical, holds a seasonal gift drive called “Holiday Angels” for our homebound neighbors in need of basic household items.
You can donate small gifts that make a big impact by picking up some of the necessities suggested below.
With your help, a cheerful MOW volunteer will deliver a bountiful gift bag to the homes of clients, who will treasure such thoughtful holiday greetings—and the knowledge that they are remembered at this busy time of year.
TWO EASY WAYS TO GIVE:
- Bring your new, unwrapped gift to one of the many collection sites including Richmond-area Walgreens stores between now and December 9. See our suggested shopping list below.
- No time to shop? Make a secure online financial gift here.
BASIC GIFT ITEMS (NEW ONLY) INCLUDE:
- Safety and security items: night lights, radios, alarm clocks, smoke detectors, flashlights, batteries, calendars, light bulbs, reading lamps
- Full-size toiletries: shampoo, lotion, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, shaving cream, razors and razor blades, combs, after shave and cologne, manicure sets, pill organizers, body powder, perfume, brush and comb combo sets
- Household items: towels, washcloths, double-sized blankets, double-sized flat sheets, pillow cases, dish towels, pillows
- Generic gifts: stamps, stationery, puzzles, large-print books and magazines, envelopes, boxes of birthday cards, wallets, necklaces that go over the head, board games
- Warm clothing (not size-specific): socks, gloves, scarves, baseball caps, knee-hi hose or one-size-fits-all socks, suspenders
Please do not donate food items (including candy) due to special dietary needs and restrictions.