Dog stuns firefighters; emerges from smoldering home’s ashes

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Tenn. (WJHL) – A heartwarming story out of Tennessee has firefighters stunned and a family counting their blessings.

Pat Boone, who has been a firefighter for nearly a decade, said it is relatively common for crews to bust open a door during a house fire and find a pet desperately trying to escape.

However, Boone is calling Abigail the dog’s story of survival a miracle.

“You never see a house that has fully burned to the ground… and 90 percent of the home is gone. I mean it’s up in smoke –and something lived.”

Boone said he could not believe his eyes when he noticed something move.

“Next thing I know there’s a little dog coming out from the floor space,” Boone said. “I reached in and grabbed her — and pulled her through the hole.”

Boone said firefighters didn’t know the dog’s name, so they called her Miracle.

And after losing everything, the Leford family is counting their blessings and has a newfound sense of hope thanks to Abigail’s close call.

“We cried. We thought we done lost ‘em,” one family member said. “Houses can be replaced, clothes can be replaced, [but] family and animals can’t.”

Folks are also lending a helping hand to the family. In fact, Boone said he was surprised at the outpouring of support from the community.

“It’s just amazing. People and the… animal bond, especially in a time of need,” Boone said. “You just never know. Miracles do happen.” 

Click here to read more on this story from WJHL.