Charges dropped against alleged Regency Square Mall shooter

Posted on: 11:48 am, November 8, 2012, by and , updated on: 06:24pm, November 8, 2012

HENRICO, Va. (WTVR) – Charges have been dropped against the man accused of firing a gun inside Regency Square Mall in October.

Officials said all charges were nolle prossed against 23-year-old Moses Bryant in connection to the Regency shooting because of a lack of evidence.

Bryant had been facing four felony charges, including malicious wounding, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, shooting in a public place causing injury. Those charges were nolle prossed Thursday.

However, Bryant was convicted on a marijuana charge. He was sentenced to 12 months in jail, with 11 months suspended.

Additionally, the prosecutor asked that the suspect be banned from the mall, but the judge turned down that request since Bryant said he worked at the mall. Investigators are working to confirm that claim.

Henrico Police Chief Douglas Middleton said last month that Bryant was arrested last month in the 800 block of BlandyAvenue in Richmond. 

Police are still trying to identify this man, captured on surveillance video inside Regency Square Mall, in connection with the October shooting.

Additionally, Middleton said officers think Bryant was about to complete some sort of transaction before the shooting occurred.

Police said one person was struck by a bullet fragment as they were headed into the restroom at the food court.

Police responded to the mall, which is located at the 1400 block of Parham Road,  after receiving a call for shots fired inside at the food court.

RELATED: