TRAFFIC ALERT: Roads closed, parking restrictions during Obama visit
RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – Richmond Police will restrict parking and close roads Wednesday night ahead of President Obama’s Thursday morning campaign stop.The president is scheduled to speak at the Carillon at Byrd Park.
There will be no parking at the Carillon, according to Richmond Police. People with tickets to the campaign rally must park at City Stadium where they will then be bussed to the Carillon.
Police said special parking regulations would go into effect starting Wednesday on Rugby Road, and towing will begin at 6 a.m. Thursday around the the Carillion Park.
From approximately 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Thursday, parking will be restricted and the following streets will be closed:
- Rugby Road
- Wilbon Road
- Park Drive Between Shirley Lane and Blanton Avenue
- Blanton Avenue
- Trafford Road between Blanton and Spottswood Road
- Bute Lane east at Rugby Road
- Carillon Court
- Garrett Street between Blanton Avenue and Walpole Street
- Douglasdale Road east of Walpole Street
- Condie east of Walpole Street
- French Street east of Walpole Street
- Grant Street east of Walpole Street
- South Sheppard Street south of Maplewood Avenue (except for school employees)
- Stroller’s Lane
- Byrd Park Vita Course will be closed
- Barker Field will be closed
- Dogwood Dell parking lots will be closed
- Carillon Park will be closed
For northbound traffic from the Nickel Bridge:
- All traffic northbound will be detoured at Shirley Lane to Shield’s Lake Court to Amelia Street to Meadow Street north bound.
For southbound traffic from the Boulevard:
- The Downtown Expressway entrance will remain open.
Police said remaining traffic will be detoured at the Columbus Monument (Blanton Avenue) east to Idlewood Avenue to Meadow Street south to Amelia Street to Shield’s Lake Court to Shirley Lane to Park Drive south to the bridge.