IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR DISH SUBSCRIBERS – SERVICE INTERRUPTION – CLICK HERE

Apartment fire forces students from university building

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – An afternoon fire forced a student housing apartment building used by Virginia State University to be evacuated.

More than 90 students were evacuated Tuesday afternoon.

Chesterfield Fire and EMS spokesman Jason Elmore told CBS 6 that the fire started when a maintenance worker accidentally turned on a stove inside a first-floor apartment. That apartment, at the University Apartments, is used for storage.

Boxes that sat on top of the stove caught fire.

The building’s sprinkler system put out the fire before it spread.

The students have since been allowed back into the apartments.

The investigation is on-going.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 5,871 other followers